Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle DRC question

Status
Not open for further replies.

earckens

I made an adapter board for ESP8266 and for RF95 LORA module, one on each side. These 2 boards have pin locations that are not compatible with the standard pcb hole locations, so an adapter board overcomes this "drawback". These 2 boards are SMD, and with identical pin locations. This adapter is to be used for either the one or the other board.

Now I get yellow crossmarks over the pads for this boards after having run DRC. What is the meaning of these?

Attachments

• ESP8266-12.pdf
    21.2 KB · Views: 212
  • ESP8266-12.brd
    47.2 KB · Views: 213
1) Your board in too small. The two through hole connectors are too close to the edge of the board. The holes will break out.
2) The two switches are too close to the edge of the board.
3) Some thing is wrong with the switch component. Sorry I don't know what.
4) The ESP8266 has a pad problem. The yellow "X" is because the top side copper and the bottom side copper have the same signal and need to be connected. Go back into the part and make the pads red only, not red and blue.
>Go into the board editor and turn off layer-1 red, then you can see there are blue pads on the bottom side the board.
>Just to prove the yellow X is what I think. I went to a pad, red trace to connector and then blue trace back. So top pad, connector, and bottom trace are all connected and the yellow X went away.
>I don't how you got pads on both side. Not easy. Fix the part.

Hi ronsimpson,
1&2: ok, to be taken care of;
2: ok
3. what do you see as wrong on your screen (what is the something that you see)?
4. top and bottom pads are connected through the pinheaders on the side; as soon as I connected them in the schematic and did a ratsnest, issue solved. However I do need red (top layer) and blue (bottom layer), both sides must be able to be populated. I got the RF95/96 in blue by using the mirror command, so that it can be placed on the bottom. That part needs to be on the bottom because Vcc, GND are not compatible between both.

3. what do you see as wrong on your screen (what is the something that you see)?
It looks like you are using layer 29 to draw the body of the part. This like is going over the pad.
However I do need red (top layer) and blue (bottom layer), both sides must be able to be populated.
I don't understand. You want to put the ESP8266 on the top side and/or on the bottom side? Normally the part is all top side.
That part needs to be on the bottom because Vcc, GND are not compatible between both.
A "via" is used to connect top and bottom sides. (or use a through hole part pin)

Hi ronsimpson, the one side of the board is when ESP8266 is used (then also switches and resistors are installed), the bottom part (other side) is for use with a RF95/96 module. Advantages: different silkscreens possible, different pin functions can be accomodated (Vcc for RF95 and ESP8266 are on different locations, needing different external circuitry (cap's and resistors)), ..
Via's are used, and also pins to connect through top and bottom where needed; I use autorouter; the RF95 Vcc pin is not connected to the pinheader but straight to Vcc of ESP8266. I attached the schematic.

Attachments

• ESP8266-12.pdf
    21.4 KB · Views: 219
I understand. U1 is different than U2. From Just looking at the board I could not see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back