Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EAGLE aquired by Autodesk

Status
Not open for further replies.

spec

Most Helpful Member
Have you heard that EAGLE has recently been squired by Autodesk of AutoCAD fame.

I just wounder what implications that will have for EAGLE, although Autodesk have stated that a free version of EAGLE will still be available.

It would be great if Autodesk tidied EAGLE up a bit but kept it's friendly easy-to-use feel.

What do you think about this development- good or bad?

spec

It might be LIKE "Adobe acquiring Mozilla", which is NOT TRUE, but would definitely be detrimental. The new version of Flash Player v24 crashes multiple times daily under Linix and I don't ever expect a fix.

:) Adobe flash player crashes all the time full stop.

But Adobe's main applications are rock-solid, Photoshop especially.:cool:

spec

Last edited:
I've just checked Cadsoft's website and the educational version is back (6 layers 160x100). Looks like my .edu email address is going to come in handy. :)

Mike.
P.S. found elsewhere,
What does Autodesk think of Cadsoft EAGLE ‘s free with limited functionality version and is it something they see continuing in the future? Could there be more free editions of other Autodesk products?
This is essential to EAGLE’s success – period. So yes, we will continue to make the freeware version of EAGLE available. We’ll also be zeroing out the educational license and making the 6-layer version available free to students and faculty for non-commercial work. We’ve done this in part to bring this into line with all Autodesk products (Fusion and Inventor for example are all free to students and startups making less that $100K / year) but also because the 6-layer license finally makes it possible for students to begin designing wireless (impedance controlled feed lines for example tend to be pegged against a plane layer) and likewise use more sophisticated memory busses (like DDR) which also require impedance controls.

just checked Cadsoft's

Pommie, Where did you find this?

I just went to AutoDesk and they have the free version, 2 layer 80cm version.
Then they have the $100.00/year, 2 layer 160 cm.
And the $500.00/year, 16 layer version.
Problem 1: None will work on my old computer. Win XP
Problem 2: Two Layer!

So I think I will continue to use what I payed for years ago. V6.6 standard. I do 4 layer boards and some times 6 layer. Using my old XP computer.

"EAGLE Standard $100.00/year

Includes 99 schematic sheets, 2 signal layers, and 160 cm2 board area."

Eagle is dead. Nobody is going to go for this whole subscription thing. Autodesk made a huge mistake and unless they change back to the old licencing system they're going to lose just about all of their customers.

Eagle is dead
The free to students thing is good.
I am not happy with $500.00/year. It probably blows up as soon as you stop paying.
I need more than 2 layers so the $100.00/year is out.
I don't have a new computer so it won't work at all.
(they emailed and offered 1/2 price for one year)
I can probably keep my old computer working for a while.
I need to start learning something different.

I got a Win-10 computer that my wife grabbed. So I am using a Win-XP. (and a Raspberry Pi)
XP is dead!
I hate to point out the obvious, but PCs are so cheap second hand, especially for you who could fix the odd fault.:)

spec

I have old executable files somewhere, I should be able to send them to you.

try here:
Thank you,
In the process of downloading, my computer found that I have 6.6.0 and 6.5.0 in my "download" area. I just saved to another place. On an older computer I probably have 5.x & 4.x in the download area.

I have a license file for "sch" and "board" not "auto-router".

Who needs the autorouter?
I have never seen a good auto-router.
Some program I used years ago had a function that helped place a trace. You start out by picking a net and which end to start on. Then you crudely move the mouse about where you want the trace to go and the program would accurately place the trace. You can go back and say this corner, not here but here, and the program will re-rout. So it was a one trace at a time router with human help. Very fast.

I have also used a "nudge" function that will help push a trace through by moving other traces out of the way. It was OK but you should leave that function off most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back