Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DVP-CX777ES does not play DVD, only CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

guho

I have a DVP-CX777ES which plays CD, not DVD. DVD auto adjustment in the service menu fails. I have the service manual for this DVD changer already. The optical pickup block (DVD & CD laser) and flat cable are fine, because when I swapped the motherboard, all discs play correctly and the auto adjustment procedure works for all discs. So it is something on the mainboard, which I would like to repair. Either passive components (resistors/capacitors), RF amplifier(IC201, SP3726A) or the IC301 Servo DSP (CXD9703R). Is there anyone on this board with experience repairing Sony DVD players? Which one of these is most likely to be the culprit? Thanks for any insights.

Not sure if relevant but when I have repaired old games consoles that have multi disc format capabilities there is usually and adjustment potentiometer near to the laser and just tweaking that usually solves the problem perhaps its something you could try? not sure if it would help but worth a shot.

Not sure if relevant but when I have repaired old games consoles that have multi disc format capabilities there is usually and adjustment potentiometer near to the laser and just tweaking that usually solves the problem perhaps its something you could try? not sure if it would help but worth a shot.

Considering laser adjustments are absolutely critical, and a minor over-adjustment destroys the laser, perhaps randomly 'twiddling' isn't a great idea?.

There are of course two lasers in a DVD player, one for DVD and one for CD - so it could just be a duff laser assembly (that's certainly the most likely option), and it works with another board because the settings are different on it.

Followup: personal triumph as I was able to fix it yesterday. The motherboard has automatic laser power adjustment for CD and DVD. In the circuit related to this, there are electrolytic caps on the board. The one for CD was still working whereas the DVD capacitor had died. I replaced it and re-ran the auto-adjustment procedure from the service menu. Now it is back to playing DVDs as well (and SACD as these are also DVDs)!

I would like to draw the attention of all DVP-CX777ES and BDP-CX7000ES owners to my GitHub open source project DiscChanger.NET. It's a free multiplatform solution to control your Sony changers, get metadata for discs from MusicBrainz/GD3 and use any phone/tablet/computer on your LAN to select content to play back.

See DiscChanger.NET ReadMe . Any questions? Let me know.

WideScreenDiscsCoverArt.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back