Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dragons fire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerunique

I'm making a fiberglas spare tire cover with a "fire-breathing" dragon. I have 11 LEDs in casting resin - in the "fire". I would like to make the LEDs light up when the brake lights are on. The 11 LEDs would light up in 1-11 sequence - ALL turn off & repreat for as long as the brake lights are on. The LEDs for the eyes will be wired separately to be on with the tail lights. I need a diagram for the "clock". Chasing effect for the 11 "flame" LEDs would be an alternate 'make do'. The desired effect would be for the dragon to be "breathing fire" when the brake lights are on. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Tinkering & making things different are my "left field" specialty. :eek: Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A CD4017 is a chaser IC with 10 outputs. Its datasheet shows how two or more ICs can be cascaded for more outputs.
Its output current is enough to drive transistors that drive your LEDs.

The speed of the sequence is controlled by changing the speed of the clock oscillator with a potentiometer.
You could abruptly change the speed by switching resistors into the clock oscillator circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back