Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Door intrusion and water level sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubuaks

I m doing this project in which the unit (microcontroller,pcb) is placed inside a cabinet.
I need a sensor for detecting any attempt of theft, as in, if anybody opens the door of the cabinet a command is send to the microcontroller.
Another sensor is required for detecting the water level, if it goes low below a certain level, the uc gets interrupted.

What kind of sensors i shud go for and where can i find theory about them?
If anybody could provide help on these two things.....

For the door, look at magnet/reed switches like those used in home alarm systems. For the water level detector a float switch would be the simplest.

Look at how switches are interfaced to micro-controllers.

Are there any other limiting specifications?

ken

Thanks KMoffett and gerty for ur replies......

I searched about the reed switches and yes they are appropriate for my application. But how do i connect one to the door and its interfacing to the microcontroller...?

like this.

If you require the signal inverted connect an NPN transistor between switch and MCU port pin.

Attachments

• DOORSWITCH.gif
    DOORSWITCH.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 739
like this.

If you require the signal inverted connect an NPN transistor between switch and MCU port pin.
Or, reverse the positions of the resistor and reed switch.

Also note, when purchasing reed switches that some are normally-open (N.O.) and a magnet closes the contacts. Others are normally-closed (N.C.) and a magnet opens the contacts.

Ken

Or, reverse the positions of the resistor and reed switch.

Ken

That depends on the kind of MCU. Some only understand an active pullup, and want to see ground potential (or close to ground) when low.

Boncuk

I am going to use atmel's 89s52.......i searched on reed and float switch, but their are many varieties of them available, which model should i go for....?my app is a simple one, so not complex one's i guess.....?

For the float switch, you have to be specific about the water container you're monitoring. Each type of float switch works best in a specific environment. Though the "app is a simple one" the "devil is in the details". Can you give us details.

For the door switch, something like this: Directed 8600 Magnetic Micro Switch - RadioShack.com

Ken

sensors

Hello,
If you are looking for a sensor, you should visit Madison Company's website. They have a large variety of sensors, along with information on sensors so that you know exactly which sensor is right for the project that you're working on.
I hope that this helps you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back