Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dog Scarer

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabianPruitt

Hi
As this is my first post I wasn't sure where it should go. Now I don't hate dogs but I like to go to my local open area here in Lincoln (The Lawn) and eat breakfast. Unfortunately, half the dogs in Lincoln think I'm here to share my breakfast with them. Therefore I need an ultrasonic dog deterrent that works so I can breakfast in peace.

Buying one from eBay or Amazon is not a good idea as none of these supposed "Dog Scarers" has ever been tested by either eBay or Amazon and could well be useless pieces of junk which would only work if you throw it at the dog hard enough.

So the best course of action is to build one yourself. So has anyone got any suggestions as to the best way to make an ultrasonic dog scarer that will scare the **** out of the dog so it never bothers me or my breakfast again?

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Fabian.
Don-Not-Want-Funny-Scared-Dog-Picture.jpg

I don't think there's ever been any suggestion that such things really work, particularly bearing in mind it's essentially an ultrasonic whistle, as is used to attract dogs.

But there are plenty of low cost ones on Amazon, which will work in the same way as one you might build yourself. Here's a DIY one that looks easy to build, and doesn't use any special components.

All dogs have different behavior when they hear an ultrasonic sound.
Some dogs will be attracted, other dogs will run away and hide.
Many dogs will bark until the sound stops.
Most dogs will quickly "learn" that when that sound occurs then food is near.

Are they wild dogs? Here we have wild deer and foxes on the loose in parks near rivers.
Doesn't your city have bylaws?
Why are domestic dogs running around loose in the park? Here in Canada dogs in a park must be on a leash.

First of all, I am an owner of a nosey young dog, if she were without leash in a park and I didn´t watch her and anticipate what she is inevitably going to do, then it is my fault as the dog owner and not the fault of my poorly behaved dog. If you can go confront the owner of the dog, maybe they will take better care.

As a second measure I doubt ultrasonic anything will be powerful enough to outweigh a free lunch. If the dogs that bother you are the usual dogs you see every day, then I would shout and intimidate them to leave, and if that doesnt help blast air horn when they close in. Next time they will be sure to leave you alone and bother someone else.

Here in Thailand in Thailand I have been surrounded by groups of dogs snarling and baring their teeth, and eventually learned that if I take the pen out of my shirt pocket and hold by one end or the other as if it were a stick they back away. "Aaaaaa! It's a stick! Look out!!!" It worked on all fierce dogs for about 20 years now. Maybe that information will come in handy for you the next time you go to the park.

OR, maybe they will think you want to play fetch with them and eagerly wait for you to throw you pen.

As audioguru said in post #3 each dog has its own personality.

Looks like most people are not willing to help you with your solution. I'd try some of the other (excellent) suggestions above.

Mike.

I made this but while testing it my wife came from the other side of the house and complained that it hurt her ears. End of experiment.

Barking Dog Annoyer.jpg

The output coupled through a sizeable electrolytic capacitor drove a permanent magnet tweeter that I picked up at a surplus store. This was a one-off and there are no guarntees.

Buy a police whistle when dogs come start blowing the whistle.

I once had a neighbor with a loud barking dog, wife complained & nothing changed. We reported it to city code & police nothing changed. I put a mic next to the property line connected to a 100 amp PA system when dog barked people heard it 3 blocks away, it scared the dog so it barked more often. Extreme LOUD dog barking make dog owner mad she called the police. City code has no rules on loud sounds 7 am to 9 pm because lots of companies use loud machines, jack hammer, chain saws, stump grinders, rock crushers, cement mixers, dull dozers, more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back