Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does this rotary type exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuhagen

I am trying to source a similar platform rotary switch with no luck. Turning either direction is a momentary grounding connection. I made a test set up with 2 push button momentary switches and the results worked. It has to be this type of rotary to fit into the existing circuit board.

I have exhausted searching on Mouser and Digikey and I cannot find rotary style momentary with continuous indents. I have tried Encoders and they do not work in this application. Turning clockwise sends a grounding signal to speed up a fan, CCW sends a signal to lower fan speed.

This is the size and shape I am hoping to get close to. Any help on what this maybe called and if there is such a beast. I contacted ALPs in Japan and they do not offer these anymore.

Stu

Attachments

• Alps Rotary (3) (Medium).JPG
    Alps Rotary (3) (Medium).JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 131
One problem with replacing that switch is that the pcb holes are not in line with the centerline of the switch body and its mounting bushing. If keeping that arrangement is important, what about a SPDT toggle or rocker switch? Way more reliable than a rotary switch. If you get one with wire-wrap leads, they can be bent in a zig-zag pattern to reach the pcb holes that are not in line with the bushing.

ak

I am somewhat restricted on fitting in a specific area and having anything other than a rotary would not really work.

I will search to see if that place has an ALps where the pins are rotated 90 degrees

Attachments

• Fan OEM Front.JPG
    Fan OEM Front.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 109
I truly hope that you will find a suitable replacement.

Be aware though, that many OEMs request specific modifications to catalog items. Which the parts manufacturer may agree to do if it makes a sensible business case.

Once that the OEM no longer orders the part, it is then discontinued.

Yes it exists. Check Allen Bradley Switches. Buy a center position switch rotary operator with momentary movement left and right. Buy contact block separate NO and NC to attach to the switch. You can have up to about 8 contacts of NO and NC contact if you want. You buy contacts separate to put on the rotary operator.

Check with any industrial electrical supply store. There are other brands available some in smaller miniature versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back