Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DO I need another oscilator

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerotke

I want to create a digitally transceiver. Signal creator will be a PIC and transmitter will be a Maxim Dallas product. They both need oscilator chrystal. What Do I must do? Single chrystal for both or different two chrystal. Please help me.

Well, you have two options here. You could have an oscillator for each one, or you could have the stamp generate a clock on one of the pins. I do this for simple/low frequency applications. If the transmitter requires >10~15mhz, then yes, you will need an external crystal. :)

Do you have a link to the transmitter? I would like to see it. In theory, you should just ground the oscillator, add +5v to it, and then run the clock into the transmitter. I think it should be an asynchronous transmitter. That is, it won't care if data isn't ready to be sent, it will just send it, whenever it is ready.

Marks256 said:
If the transmitter requires >10~15mhz
I'm not being picky just for the sake of it, you mean >10~15MHz. Capitalisation is very important in engineering, m means milli and M means mega, the two are totally different, also pay attention to the difference between v and V, where the former means instantanious voltage and the latter rms voltage (in the context of a time varying voltage).

You can use a single crystal but you'll need to create a seperate oscillator that will feed both devices. the input frequency for 433.9 is 17.63416 mhz which will also work ok for a pic. the datasheet says "ac coupled" but is silent beyond that. I'd contact maxim (or look around their site). the pic wants to see a square wave for the clock.

I don't want to sound rude here but this is tricky stuff. Putting it in the human body makes it a lot trickier. I suggest you find an engineer that is familiar with this area (RF and medical electronics).

edit: mhz or MHZ, it's unambiguous in this context. who is going to run a transmitter at .015 hz?

Last edited:
I'm not being picky just for the sake of it, you mean >10~15MHz. Capitalisation is very important in engineering, m means milli and M means mega, the two are totally different, also pay attention to the difference between v and V, where the former means instantanious voltage and the latter rms voltage (in the context of a time varying voltage).

Yes, ok. Thanks for that save. :)

yikes, you are a braver man than I.

what is your target size? it seems like you are talking about a pretty big lump. how are you powering it? I'd suggest you look at the ti msp430 line of micros instead of the PIC line - really good low power support.

thank you for your information. I am not sufficient in programming and I know a bit knowledge about PIC s.. THis machine must be small as it can be as. I will let it in a golden package ( as human body can tolerate golden good without immun reactions). I couldnt understand how I can use single chrystal but coupled oscilator.

I am not sure but maybe I can feed circuit with a kinetic energy generator like a seiko watch. Other side If I cant do it I can put circuit in a bracelet. I know an excellent artist who can cover my circuit with an excellent silver or golden bracelet. Solar cell can mimic with diamonds :))..

I try to create my own world...a clever machine will follow me and my family. It will can know how we are and if we need another each of us. I will make this system. Help me with your informations... Thank you

philba said:
mhz or MHZ, it's unambiguous in this context. who is going to run a transmitter at .015 hz?
In this case it is obviously MHz, not mHz, but I would avoid getting into bad habits like this, the next thing is you might find yourself talking about 1m resistors. The main reason I would discourage this is because it doesn't set a very good example, there might be nubes who read this board and pick it up without knowing any better.

Last edited:
Hmm.... ok a pacemaker, with a radio modem.