Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY USB Programer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
kentken said:
Has anyone came up with a design for a USB PIC Programmer?

There are a number of supposed 'USB' programmers, but most of them are really serial programmers with an RS232/USB converter.

The MicroChip PICKIT1 is a true USB programmer, but only supports a very limited range of small FLASH chips. You can download all the circuits and software for it from MicroChip, as well as being a commercial product it's also used as a USB design example.

Nigel Goodwin said:
falleafd said:
How about the MCP-USB from www.olimex.com? Nigel.

There is no converter from RS232? But I don't know its principal.

There's very little information on it, so it's difficult to tell, but it's looks like it uses a USB/RS232 converter chip - presumably a SM one underneath the board?.

yea its an rs232 with the ftdi chip (SM) mounted on the bottom of the board, also uses the 5V USB line to generate the programming voltages (i think...)

falleafd said:
Thanks e,

I've just ordered a MCP_USB from SparkFun, and be waiting for delivery. I see the only thing from those programmer is its compatible to PicStart Plus MPLAB.

ohh it looks like a good programmer to me, I have the serial MCP and it works just fine fo everything I have tried. I would have rather had the USB one though :?

e said:
falleafd said:
Thanks e,

I've just ordered a MCP_USB from SparkFun, and be waiting for delivery. I see the only thing from those programmer is its compatible to PicStart Plus MPLAB.

ohh it looks like a good programmer to me, I have the serial MCP and it works just fine fo everything I have tried. I would have rather had the USB one though :?

They do an addon USB converter for it!.

Yes they make a FT232 converter on it, and use virtual COM port.

However, it's better than RS232 programmer that they don't need a pwr supply.

I took a look to PIC KIT 1 and see it no good, because a very short range of PICs.

Well, however, sometimes I see bootloader may do faster programming and easy to test results. And Tiny bootloader is verygood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back