Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple USB interface for thermocouple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Hardhouse

Hi All,
I've a need for a simple (quick, easy & cheap) way to read a temperature from a thermocouple, in soft real time, into some PC software. This doesn't need to be a project in itself - I'd just like to get the data in the least stressful way possible.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an approach?

This module, using the MCP9600, looks like a promising start. You can plug in a thermocouple and talk to it over I2C.

The de-facto standard for PCs of course is USB. Are there any recommendations for a device that can talk both USB and I2C with minimal programming, and appear as an easy-to-handle device at the PC (possibly virtualising an RS232 port would be simplest)?

All ideas much appreciated folks!

[EDIT: Doesn't have to be Arduino... just posted here for maximum attention!]

1659399851857.png

The above ap notes all PSOC 5LP, single chip solution. USBUART and I2C and other COM also onboard.

The overall chip has the following (in many cases multiple copies) components in it (in PSOC land
a component is an onchip resource) -

1659400078907.png
View attachment 138054

IDE (PSOC Creator) and compiler free. For low count I/O use this $15 board -

CY8CKIT-059

1659400201054.png

Regards, Dana.

Fairly cheap ready made device:

Dev tool is PSOC Designer :

This is the older PSOC 1 family of parts.

Regards, Dana.

Thanks both.
I think that the Cypress system may be more work than I was looking for, although the app notes are good.

I had seen the Phidget products, but was hoping I might find something a little cheaper. However, having looked at some of the documentation, they do seem like they might be worth forking out for. I wonder if my boss will agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back