Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY inspection microscope for SMD work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr RB

Hi, maybe this is of interest.

I wanted a standalone flatscreen microscope for SMD work, and made one out of an old VGA PC monitor and a couple of cheap ebay items. :)

**broken link removed**

https://www.romanblack.com/VGA_microscope/VGAmic.htm

I know you can buy cheap USB "microscopes" that plug into a PC, but I made this one more for convenient workshop use and personally I hate having to tie up a PC by having a tool plugged into it.

Nice idea, I've been thinking of using a web cam for the same thing, but using yours w/o the computer would be a real "nicety". :) I'll have to keep my eyes open
at the recycle pile....

Excellent project. Definitively of interest to most hobbysts. Even in thru-hole components, helpful for inspecting solder joints.
Thanks for sharing!

I had briefly looked at USB scopes, but felt they are overpriced.

Nice writeup Roman - I use a similar setup with an old Panasonic camcorder (with macro function) and a composite to VGA converter.

I also have a spare composite input to my CCTV multiplexer/recorder which is also hooked up to the 17" Monitor so could use that when I find a suitable spare camera (which I have around 10 of floating around the workshop).

Something members might want to consider is one of the Logitech HD webcams - these can be purchased for £10-£20 if you keep your eyes open and will happily stream at 20fps at 1600 x 1200 (frame_mjpeg). The lenses are refocusable and can be removed and replaced with a better macro lens if needed. I use them for CCTV but have fancied building a half decent high magnification inspeciton device.

Thanks for the nice words guys. :)

I've still been fiddling with the lighting and diffuser, it needs the right balance of enough light to get good camera contrast, and diffuse enough to get good visibility without white and dark spots, but if it is too diffuse the shadows wash out and the PCB starts to look flat and "2D" and the solder is harder to inspect, as solder joints need to be seen as a 3D shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back