Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dissapearing FIles

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's using NTFS (if it's Windows 2000 or newer he should be) that shouldn't be a problem.

Still the file system could have become corrupt but there's less of a chance of that happening with NTFS than FAT32.

Don't such corruptions normally mess the whole drive up though?

It can sometimes be repaired, there's probably a greater chance with NTFS than FAT though.

I think the hard drive might be on its way out, Maxtors seem to be pretty unreliable, mine gave up the ghost too.

Maxtors seem to be pretty unreliable, mine gave up the ghost too.

Agreed. Maxtor HDDs grow disk errors (invalid sectors) pretty rapidly as I could observe with two Maxtor SCSI HDDs.

I think you have to be more careful now so you don't get a rebranded Maxtor harddrive from Seagate.

I'm a big Western Digital fan myself. I've had a few nasty problems with Seagate drives, where we got a whole batch of bad drives in a complex RAID array, a new drive would go every week and this was relatively new stuff back then so initializing the new drive in the array took hours and hours of downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back