Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need to edit 2 VERY large files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

i need to edit 2 very large files (AVI files) in a text editor. They are both ~700MB, and i only have 512MB in my laptop for RAM. Anyways, does anyone know of a text editor that can open very large text files? I am trying out WinVI (free notepad alternative that can open large files) but i am still waiting...

In case any of you are wondering why i need to do this, i "downloaded" a movie, and the avi file header was corrupt. So, i am going to replace the header of the file i downloaded with another file's header. I have done it before, but only with smaller files (and it has worked. not perfect, but i really want to see this movie...)

thanks.

AVI files are binary so surely you need a hex editor not a text editor.

You could try Emacs, I think there's a Windows version.

it doesn't matter anymore. the whole file downloaded null. :( Yeah, i know i need a hex editor, that is what i meant. Most text editors i use have a hex editor built right in...

holy crap! WHY IS IT 36MB!?

vim \o/

also if it does mmap it will be easier

i had a great hex editor at one time, though it's been a loong time since i've used one for anything. Last time I used one was to "crack" some ummm nevermind.

i just redownloaded the movie. it works now. ;) azureus must have had a hiccup or something...

the whole file was corrupt. VLC didn't even think it was an AVI file.

VLC is the only media player i use.

It doesn't matter any more. I just redownloaded the movie and it works fine now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back