Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting PS files to PDF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bountyhunter

Most of my old application circuits (and there are hundreds) are in software that can output postscript files which I used to be able to convert to PDF files using an Adobe acrobat converter. Unfortunately, it was on the PC that resides at the company which no longer employs me.

Is there any downloadable software around I could get to do PS to PDF conversion so I could post circuits here?

You could try Ghost script or if you need somthing more user friendly, PDFCreator which can also create PDFs using any program that can print.

In case anybody else has this problem in the future:

PS to PDF converters like "ghostscript" and all the others offered around for downloading do not convert the older style PS files to PDF. From what I am told,these "converters" are not actually converters, just "printer engines" that print a PDF file. They can't open a generic PS file and convert it to PDF. I tried every one I could find and none could translate the PS files to PDF.

The one SW that does is Adobe Acrobat which contains an actual distiller that can take any PS file of any type and convert it to PDF and output a PDF file. It even works on PS files that originated on MAC graphics programs.

Last edited:
hi,

I have used Open Office freeware to convert some docs to pdf, it might be worthwhile checking the OS option see if it accepts PS files.

In case anybody else has this problem in the future:

PS to PDF converters like "ghostscript" and all the others offered around for downloading do not convert the older style PS files to PDF. From what I am told,these "converters" are not actually converters, just "printer engines" that print a PDF file. They can't open a generic PS file and convert it to PDF. I tried every one I could find and none could translate the PS files to PDF.

I don't think that is correct.

Try Googling for ps2pdf which is a wrapper around Ghostscript (see, for example, **broken link removed**) and should do everything Adobe Distiller does. I've used it in the past and have just used it on a random (pure text) PostScript file I had lying around and it produced a PDf with no problems.

I don't think that is correct.

Try Googling for ps2pdf which is a wrapper around Ghostscript (see, for example, **broken link removed**) and should do everything Adobe Distiller does. I've used it in the past and have just used it on a random (pure text) PostScript file I had lying around and it produced a PDf with no problems.

Maybe not, but the guy on the MAC forum said that the modern PS converters can not open the old MAC PS files. The problem is this: the PS files come from a MAC but are put onto a PC formatted disc which the mAC can understand and write to. However, the PS file on the PC will NOT OPEN on a PC because there is no program that can open it on the computer. The problem is, the PS to PDF converters I tried (all the freeware ones) can't work with that. The file has to be able to open on the PC to invoke a program to convert it. The Adobe distiller converts PS files that don't open on the PC.

Anyway, I found a disc of Adobe 5 on ebay for $25 and that fixed it with no screwing around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back