Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Disabled alarm to beeper/pager

Status
Not open for further replies.

billericayboy

I am looking at making a simple device for my father which will allow him to allert my mother that he has problems moving or needs assistance.

He has Parkinson's Disease and at times finds moving very difficult. He can get stuck in a chair etc and needs a little help in getting up etc.

What they need is a button transmitter (i can put in a wrist worn enclosure) that will be picked up by a beeper/buzzer/pager unique to the button pressed (ie have several different codes/chanels that are selectable).

While there are many units on sale with an outdoor range of 300m this is drasticlly cut down inside the house. So in order to ensure a good range i would be looking for is about a mile so that my mother could pop to a neighbours and have a coffee and chat and know if dad has a problem she is within range(even with buildings cutting the range).

So any ideas on a 1,500m range transmitter and how to have several working in the same area (in case neighbour wants one as well) would be great.

Thanks

Richard

Hi, the problem with a set of radios is they are put down and out of reach when required but a wrist button and belt clip buzzer means they are with you and dont get in the way when you need them - unless you are naked !!

Thanks for the thoughts though.

These remote monitored systems are good but they just want him to contact her and if they are away from home or on out with friends (steak house etc.) he can go to the toilet or out of sight and will normally be ok but on the odd accasion gets stuck so it will work where they are and not just in the home.

More problems I am afraid.
Due to the nature of parkinsons his coordination is not good enough to work a mobile phone and we need to keep it simple for him as if he (at 68) gets confused as he gets frustrated about being stuck he wont use moe than a simple button.
We have tried a phone and it just sat in his pocket as he either didnt have his reading glasses or could not move his fingers delicately enough to press little buttons - We have tried many solutions but have failed so far.

Thansk for the ideas - keep them coming as we may not have thought of one you do.

:)

You can get a "Wireless Home Alarm System" which has a selection of wireless link Reed-Switches that you'd normally attach to doors and windows. Instead, one of these wireless switches can be adapted into a Panic Button. It runs off a 12 V micro battery that lasts years. This alarm comes with a Telephone Dialler included, which you can program with a number(s) and outgoing message. The telephone number that is called can be any phone number(s), i.e. family cellphone(s). If the alarm has been tripped by the Button, an outgoing call(s) are attempted by the alarm unit, until been answered. Then the alarm stays with the telephone line, with a microphone active in the alarm unit. Of course at least one of the cellphones has to be in coverage, or the alarm unit will keep trying to establish a call until answered. Obviously, the 110 dB sounder may need reducing in volume.

Last edited:
Thanks but we want to be able to use this away from home and not have a remote monitoring station invilved.
The button will just activate the buzzer/pager.

Thanks

One of the Design Requirements for the button is that it is wrist mounted so my father has it with him when he is away.
Another Design Requirement is thar the buzzer is clipable onto a belt or waist band and is unobtrusive so my mum will wear it.

large bulkey handheld items are no good as they get put down and left 'On the mantlepiece' when needed elsewhere.

Thanks for looking

Thanks but we want to be able to use this away from home and not have a remote monitoring station invilved.

Yes, this suggestion won't work away from the home, where the 'wireless alarm' is installed.

How about modifying a cellphone with bluetooth remote dialling? A cell phone could initiate a preset call, by a bluetooth-based device, controlled by a button.

Or better still, how about a wireless doorbell button, with the base unit attached to a cellphone, wired so as to initiate a call instead of ring a bell?

Last edited:
I don't own, or ever intend to (microwave oven next to my brain?), but noticed that many seem to have an emergency dial feature, and have heard you can assign any number you want, not just 911. You should search the threads, this topic has come up before. You basically want to build a cellphone, without most of the features. It won't be cheap or simple, and you will still need a service provider, which charges you every time you dial or answer the phone, even charge you for not using your phone.

For short range, less than 100 feet, you could use a wireless doorbell, maybe re-case it. The button end is usually pretty small. You could probably add some sort of dialer for a home base. As it stands, you probably keep pretty close tabs on him in public, so 100 feet would help some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back