Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential to Single mode conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoamm

Hi Everybody,

Currently developing a PCI host card to host a wireless modem The modem has a differential speaker output and a differential mic input. My problem is that i want to connect these audio ports to their corresponding ports on a PCI sound card in the same system, which has single ended input/outputs. If i do this directly then i will end up grounding one side of each differential pair.
I have thought of using a audio transformer to convert from differential mode to single mode and vice versa. However i am not sure of the circuitry/ components etc
The output speaker differential impedance is 1 Ohm and the mic input differential impedance is 20K.

I would appreciate any help i can get with this.

Thanks Nigel.

Just to make sure i understand this correctly -

If i connect the differential speaker output from the wireless module to the single ended mic input on the soundcard - the signal amplitude will be halved,however the signal integrity should remain unchanged?

Does the same apply when i connect the single ended speaker output from the soundcard to the differential microphone input on the wireless module?

Thanks Nigel.

Just to make sure i understand this correctly -

If i connect the differential speaker output from the wireless module to the single ended mic input on the soundcard - the signal amplitude will be halved,however the signal integrity should remain unchanged?

Yes.

Does the same apply when i connect the single ended speaker output from the soundcard to the differential microphone input on the wireless module?

Yes, but you must connect the unused input to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back