Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differential Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see how my response is rude, as I have given a valid answer to his problem, as it goes for your little specification it is irrellvant due to the fact you have not looked at the IEEE standard but rather at a poor chart supplied from a suppiler. Secondly there is no reason such a probe can not be mapped out(stored in EEprom) over the entire range and calbrated to correct such errors out! As for experience over 20 years in the industry designing PCB/firmware and can run rings around a person like you because you believe in limitations and not what is acheivable to thinking beyond your limited imagination (now that is being rude ) people like you always say it is not possible or you are wrong because you are slow to understand or just too stupid. (regards Mr NOT KNOW IT ALL aka Lefty)

Leftyretro said:
Well your response to my posting borders on being a little rude as well as pretty uninformed. You most likely don't have much real world experience with TCs. I've worked with them for 30 years. Attached is excerpt from Omega Engineering, a leading supplier of TC sensors, cable and supporting equipment. Their site has tons of free publication information that can maybe help better educate you on the subject.

https://www.omega.com/

Lefty

seveprim said:
I don't see how my response is rude, as I have given a valid answer to his problem, as it goes for your little specification it is irrellvant due to the fact you have not looked at the IEEE standard but rather at a poor chart supplied from a suppiler. Secondly there is no reason such a probe can not be mapped out(stored in EEprom) over the entire range and calbrated to correct such errors out! As for experience over 20 years in the industry designing PCB/firmware and can run rings around a person like you because you believe in limitations and not what is acheivable to thinking beyond your limited imagination (now that is being rude ) people like you always say it is not possible or you are wrong because you are slow to understand or just too stupid. (regards Mr NOT KNOW IT ALL aka Lefty)

Well I guess you set me straight. Oh and good luck on your TC sensor mapping/calibration idea. That should do well as a marketing plan. What would the end user do when he has to replace a failed TC sensor (some do fail at times), call you to supply a new sensor and create a new map?

Look, it's not like TCs are new tech, they have been around almost forever and are used by the hundreds in each and every large sized petro/chemical process plants. They are a good solution when one needs a large number of wide ranging temperature measurements on a cost effective basis. However most all critical temperature applications used in that industry use RTD sensors if (somewhat) better accuracy is a high priority.

I appreciate where technology has come to in the way of processing instrumentation measurements, it was my job to install, maintain and troubleshoot such sensors and systems for a long time. However one needs to be aware of the fundamental specifications and capabilities of the sensor being measured. Processing and displaying hundredths or even tenths of a degree of resolution is silly and and even borders on dishonesty without considering the finite accuracy of the fundemental sensor.

I'm aware that there are published standard curves for the various types of TC sensors. These are needed because TC are not linear devices and need curve correction performed by the measurement electronics. They also require a cold junction reference correction at the transition of TC lead wire to the copper conductors used in the measurement circuit. These do define the ideal TC sensor type but that does not define the specifications of what practical sensors are available for purchase by normal end users.

I bring up these points not so much for you, as you already have long surpassed my limited knowledge of the subject, but for people that search this forum for TC information. They are a useful and popular way to measure higher temperatures.

Lefty (but not always right)

My skin has a better temperature accuracy than those thermocouples with their high error.

But at low temperatures I get the shivers (-200 degrees C!) and at 1250 degrees C my skin smokes then catches on fire.

audioguru said:
My skin has a better temperature accuracy than those thermocouples with their high error.

But at low temperatures I get the shivers (-200 degrees C!) and at 1250 degrees C my skin smokes then catches on fire.

Could you post a video of this please? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back