Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting Source of RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srinivasan T

Hi ,

I detected one radio source at 2.4 GHz which is not Wi-Fi,bluetooth,microwave,dect phone.
This source really unique.

I need help on how find the source of the signal :
1. Using SA with directional antenna
2, lets say, if the source comes from satellite , how do we use SA.
can we get , distance and coordination of the source !

How did you "detect" this RF source?

JimB

Welcome to ETO, Srinivasan T!

What makes you assume that the signal you are "detecting" isn't WiFi?

2.4GHz is a IEEE 802.15.4 COMPLIANT (2400 MHz to 2483.5 MHz) WiFi low end frequency.

What characteristics of the signal qualify as "unique"?

I'm not all that familiar with the HackRf SDR, but it is noted for frequency aliasing (10MHz increments) which could produce some FM variations that if detected might be misinterpreted as "intentional", as opposed to "incidental" signals.
... 2, lets say, if the source comes from satellite , how do we use SA.
can we get , distance and coordination of the source !
Unless you can capture and interpret the signal data, only suggestion I have is to triangulate.

I have captured the signal using HackRF and the file format in .cfile.
I don't know how to do anything with that file.

If I have spectrum analyser with gps , waterfall , can the SA pin point the source.
At present, the SA can pin point the source coming from ground but not sure about satellite.

Whatever you are capturing, file problems may be related to the sampling rate of the HackRf (very high and a characteristic of SDR). This then might result in the data being saved as pure binary with the .cfile extension.

As such, you'll have to extract and format that data before it may (or may not) be useful.

Google "file format .cfile" - there are several stackoverflow threads concerning, in this case, GNU Radio.

I have done lots of thing. so I need to know how to use SA with directional antenna to pin point the source. if the source comes from satellite

If the RF is from a satellite then it should be stronger when the antenna is pointing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back