Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detecting liquid (oil) level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeMake

Hi, guys!

Got this question. How would one go about measuring oil level in the engine using electronics?

I was thinking of fixing some kind of detector to oil level dipstick.

Any ideas on what kind of detector could be used for this purpose?

P.S. Oil level should only be measured before engine starts.

1) Pull the dip stick out.
2) Use a flashlight with led's to look at the dip stick.
3) Measure level of oil with digital micrometer.

Project complete & met all requirements set forth & used 2 electronic devices. :rolleyes:

I assume the engine oil is not transparent.
Here's my strange idea!
1) Light up a bright led/led's inside oil tank..:p
2) Use a dip stick like structure with a vertical array of photo diodes/trannys inside a glass tube.
3) Detect the level of diodes start conducting that tells the oil level!

EDIT: Will I get a Nobel Prize makemake?

Last edited:
Actualy when oil gets even slightly dirty it becomes weakly conductuve. My High potential insulation tester has proven this easily. At less than 1/8 inch probe spacing slightly dirty oil has less thant 10 meg of resistance at 1000 volts.

Plus there are already factory made oil level sensors out there. Just stop by your local auto parts store and ask about one. Or do like the old timers and pop the hood every 500 miles or so.
Yea I know it takes common sense and a little light does not come on but I bet your vehical will be better off if your looking under the hood once in a while! You never know when mice or some other critter are going to decide to move in and make your wiring harnesses their next meal and your air cleaner box a home!
I have seen it happen many times! Preventitive maintenace still requires some personal interaction. Not just a blinking light!

I assume the engine oil is not transparent.
Here's my strange idea!
1) Light up a bright led/led's inside oil tank..:p
2) Use a dip stick like structure with a vertical array of photo diodes/trannys inside a glass tube.
3) Detect the level of diodes start conducting that tells the oil level!

EDIT: Will I get a Nobel Prize makemake?

Nice idea, but I don`t think there`s enough room for glass tube. And putting led into engine is somewhat troublesome to say the least))

P.S. Since Mike declines his prizes, I guess it`s yours!!!

Of course I am! They can`t wait for you to come and get you prize at Stockholm! Hurry up, before Mike changes his mind!!!

By the way the commercial product uses "solid-state capacitive device".
What is that?

Thank you! I won't decline it. Are you serious or what..:confused:

Prize/award ceremonies are a real pain. There is usually travel involved, dinners, speeches, photos and press. Then they give you a silly 'trophy' and lump sum of money. You have to display the 'trophy' and prize money makes your taxes all that much harder to do.

Last edited:
Now, look at this man!!! He declines nobel prizes because he`s tired of travelling and free food))) :eek:
Isn`t that what they call sybaritism?

You didn't tell me where I've to come for collecting my trophy and prize money. I'm interested.

regards,

Hey Makemake, out of curiosity why do you want to constantly check the oil level? Isn't regular maintenance good enough? Then again, if the sells sensors I guess not huh? =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back