Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detect 'FRIENDLY' and 'ALIEN' moving object

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been around a long time but I call it IFF (Identification Friend or Foe). Simply put I acquisition a potential target on my radar and I send out a signal looking for a reply. So I ping the potential target. If there is no reply I launch a radar guided missal and remove the target. Matters not if the target or myself are moving or stationary. IFF has likely been around since WWII. Things like reply pulses are changed regularly.

Side note: When US submarines are running on the surface they, like aircraft, run IFF. This way aircraft can identify them as friend or foe.

You want to enter my perimeter gate and I challenge you. I ask you the password and you either know it or you don't. Only done on a much higher refined scale. :)

Just develop a basic IFF system with a transponder. Yes, as mentioned similar to Easy Pass with a whole bunch of whistles and bells.

Ron

What mode did you squawk? ;)

What mode did you squawk? ;)
:) Been a long time for me but back then Mode 4 reply and I want to recall the term "headlights" but again long time. Back in the early 80s I had to visit a sub, the USS Dace. We had a sub tender in LaMaddalena (Island of Sardinia). IFF problem and that was my one and only experience with a sub. :) I forget which tender we had there back then and today it's all gone. I want to say it was the USS Orion back then. It was when I was working out of Naples, Italy.

Ron

We only trusted the encrypted transponder code ( Mode 4) as anyone can spoof a mode S type code. ;)

It’s also not clear why the RC-135W engaged in the deception, reported Popular Mechanics.

“If the reconnaissance is happening outside sovereign airspace, there is no pressing need to engage in that sort of deception, ” it quoted Steffan Watkins, a Canadian open source intelligence researcher, as saying.

“It’s perfectly legal, and done in plain sight off the coast of Russia, Syria, and Crimea all the time, ” added Watkins.

Just checking to see if they were listening most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back