Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

design idea for micro controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through a similar exercise. Once the design was finished, I didn't feel the need to build a controller because the ready-made ones were better than the one I could built, but going through the exercise taught me a lot.You can start with a simple example

For a basic microcontroller you need to have some program memory, one of more data registers, one or more address counters/registers and some sort of arithmetic or logic processor, which could be as simple as the 4 bit CD40181 ALU. An instruction register (latch) can simplify your design greatly.

It would be best if you studied some existing controller instruction sets (PIC is a good start) and understand how the elements above would be connected via the instruction set, then whip up something simple that could execute those commands. 4 bits of data, 4 bit instructions, no data RAM, low clock rate. Upon getting it to work, you will be a computer architect.

A functional design is a block diagram that shows what each section does, and how and with what control signals go from block to block. A logic design would be the actual hardware used to implement the functional block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back