Dell Inspiron 6000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Recently a friend's laptop broke and so he brought a new one. I asked if I could have a look and then I asked him what is wrong with it. He said that the charger doesn't power the laptop any more and it wont charge. I googled it to find the connector had a design flaw in it which stops making contact after a while.

I have just brought a new connector off ebay **broken link removed**. I need to de solder the old connector but how do I do that?

I have got my 30W soldering iron on it and I cant see the junction melting even know it is a small joint. If I try sucking the solder away nothing happens. What is the best way to do this. As I am only doing this for fun sort of thing I do not want to take it to professionals or the computer repair shop as it will cost me lots of money.

Thanks, Dave

EDIT: Is it possible to just solder a wire to the connections and solder a jack to the other end of the wire?

Last edited:

Often to de-solder, you may need to apply a bit of solder to the joint; it will help transfer the heat to the old joint. Just apply a small bit of solder to your iron when you bring it to the joint, then when the joint is hot, use the solder sucker.

I finally did it. I tried adding solder to the joint and it melted. I had tried that before but it wasn't working then for some reason.

first I used a hacksaw the the contacts were in twos. as I did this I found that the middle barrel was lose and so there must have been somthing wrong. I did this to help with removing the connector because i heat up one pad and pull that side and it comes out. then do the other one and it completely comes out. then with the excess solder in the holes I tried using my solder pump. however i found it was broken as the spring inside had snapped.

I didn't have an air compressor but I got my ol' reliable compressed air can and it worked great. I soldered on the new connector. It was quite ironic because it took me all day to de solder it but took me 10 seconds to solder the new one on. I plugged the screen in and the power adaptor and pressed the power button. Amazingly it worked and so I then reformatted it and in the end I spent about £20 for a laptop.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having the same problem as me and good luck if it has,

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…