Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dell Inspiron 6000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Recently a friend's laptop broke and so he brought a new one. I asked if I could have a look and then I asked him what is wrong with it. He said that the charger doesn't power the laptop any more and it wont charge. I googled it to find the connector had a design flaw in it which stops making contact after a while.

I have just brought a new connector off ebay **broken link removed**. I need to de solder the old connector but how do I do that?

I have got my 30W soldering iron on it and I cant see the junction melting even know it is a small joint. If I try sucking the solder away nothing happens. What is the best way to do this. As I am only doing this for fun sort of thing I do not want to take it to professionals or the computer repair shop as it will cost me lots of money.

Thanks, Dave

EDIT: Is it possible to just solder a wire to the connections and solder a jack to the other end of the wire?

Last edited:

I need to de solder the old connector but how do I do that?

I have got my 30W soldering iron on it and I cant see the junction melting even know it is a small joint. If I try sucking the solder away nothing happens. What is the best way to do this. As I am only doing this for fun sort of thing I do not want to take it to professionals or the computer repair shop as it will cost me lots of money.

Thanks, Dave

EDIT: Is it possible to just solder a wire to the connections and solder a jack to the other end of the wire?

Often to de-solder, you may need to apply a bit of solder to the joint; it will help transfer the heat to the old joint. Just apply a small bit of solder to your iron when you bring it to the joint, then when the joint is hot, use the solder sucker.

If you have some compressed air, you can blow the solder away, just be careful where it lands.

I finally did it. I tried adding solder to the joint and it melted. I had tried that before but it wasn't working then for some reason.

first I used a hacksaw the the contacts were in twos. as I did this I found that the middle barrel was lose and so there must have been somthing wrong. I did this to help with removing the connector because i heat up one pad and pull that side and it comes out. then do the other one and it completely comes out. then with the excess solder in the holes I tried using my solder pump. however i found it was broken as the spring inside had snapped.

I didn't have an air compressor but I got my ol' reliable compressed air can and it worked great. I soldered on the new connector. It was quite ironic because it took me all day to de solder it but took me 10 seconds to solder the new one on. I plugged the screen in and the power adaptor and pressed the power button. Amazingly it worked and so I then reformatted it and in the end I spent about £20 for a laptop.

I hope this helps anyone else who is having the same problem as me and good luck if it has,

Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back