Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

decoupling / resevoir capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoncarr

Hi All,

I was looking at a simple schematic of a 9v DC supply divided into a +4.5v, -4.5v, virtual ground configuration and noticed quite large values for the decoupling capacitors (one placed between 9v and 4.5v and another between 4.5v and ground). Both were electrolytics 220uF each. The power supply was used to supply a single audio opamp ic.

Anyone no why such a large value for the caps? Seems a bit like overill (20 times over) to me. If anyone knows any different i would appreciate if you could set me straight.

thanks
Deon

Maybe if you replace the word 'decoupling' with the word 'filter' it makes more sense?

Decoupling is used at individual IC's to decouple noise generated from within the IC to travel along the common power rails.

Filtering is used to reduce noise/ ripple from a power supply.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back