Debugging a PC's ISA port

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I'm trying to debug one of those old PC peripheral cards that uses a 16-bit ISA bus. Basically, I have a set of unresponsive boards and I'm needing to isolate the problem. I need to know if there is PC software that can watch the ISA port, show whether the buses are carrying traffic, and maybe visualize the data being sent. I don't even know if this kind of program even exists or what it would be called. Any advice?

-----

If I can't find software, I want to build an ISA splitter as an alternative. It needs to allow a microcontroller to tap in on the PC<->ISA Card conversation enough to indicate whether the card is defective or able to communicate. The problem is I don't know what kind of connector these ISA buses use. I know it's some kind of 98-pin edgecard, but I'm lacking the specifics. What kind of connector is this?

[edit]

I also notice the board only uses tantalum capacitors. Are inrush currents ever a problem for tantalums in PC cards and other low-voltage stuff?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…