Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Debugging a PC's ISA port

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I'm trying to debug one of those old PC peripheral cards that uses a 16-bit ISA bus. Basically, I have a set of unresponsive boards and I'm needing to isolate the problem. I need to know if there is PC software that can watch the ISA port, show whether the buses are carrying traffic, and maybe visualize the data being sent. I don't even know if this kind of program even exists or what it would be called. Any advice?

-----

If I can't find software, I want to build an ISA splitter as an alternative. It needs to allow a microcontroller to tap in on the PC<->ISA Card conversation enough to indicate whether the card is defective or able to communicate. The problem is I don't know what kind of connector these ISA buses use. I know it's some kind of 98-pin edgecard, but I'm lacking the specifics. What kind of connector is this?

[edit]

I also notice the board only uses tantalum capacitors. Are inrush currents ever a problem for tantalums in PC cards and other low-voltage stuff?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back