Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Permanently disable ISA Module?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peejeev

Has anyone in the UK/EU has an ISA module fitted to their car yet? Was wondering if anyone has had a look at one yet? Wanted to study the board with the goal of permanently disabling it (I know you can switch off per Journey). Expecting to get a car with one soon.

I've never seen one, but they look like a typical concept approved by some committee with zero technical knowledge!

My car has has road sign recognition etc., with a speed display and optional limiter (which I've never tried).
There are many places and conditions where it show the wrong speed, often far lower than the actual limit.

eg. A common one is side roads in towns/cities that have speed limit signs lower than the main road you are driving on - the speed limit seen by the car can change to 20mph on a 40 or 50 mph road, or it can miss the derestriction overhead sign in variable speed limit areas.

Even the frequently-updated speed database in the Tomtom navigator has some serious errors in places, so that's not completely reliable either.

For any unit with its own GPS, I suspect disconnecting the CAN link to the vehicle, or unplugging the antenna or a good wrap of copper foil over the box if it has an internal antenna should work?

Yeah see I was wondering if just shielding it with copper foil (or even I've got some lead flashing lying around) would do the job?

They are a terrible idea, even if they use GPS, i've had Google Maps for example think i'm a few roads over just because there were tall buildings that bounced the signal.

I am interested to see a breakdown of one though.

If you put a copper foil shield over the box doesn't the shield have to then be grounded? Doesn't an ungrounded shield just re-radiate the RF?

Pardon my ignorance but what is an ISA module. Tried google but just got hits for International Auditing and Assurance Standards. A link would be handy.

Mike.

I'd double check if anything in your insurance mentions invalidating it if any of the inbuilt safety devices or controls are intentionally disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back