Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DDR3 Clock Differential Impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuchy143

I am trying to figure out what the differential impedance for a clock on DDR3 memory should be. The part number for the DDR3 I am referencing is W3J128M72G-1066PBI. It's a microsemi part with a 1066MB/s, so the clock is 533MHz.

Exactly how should I go about calculating this?

Thank you.

Yes, what's interesting is the NXP recommendation is saying 75 to 95 ohm differential impedance. The TI says 100 ohm diff. imp.

I thought there would be a standard or something. Meaning, if you are using X speed use Y diff. impedance.

Sadly I'm a noob when it comes to high speed :banghead:

Meaning, if you are using X speed use Y diff. impedance.
The impedance of a transmission line (coax or PCB traces) should be some what independent of speed. Like watching TV on channel-2 or on channel-12; the transmission line is the same impedance.

Awesome, thanks, makes sense.

I'm looking at a designs board file and see that they did not match the length of the diff pair. There is a delta of 3 mils. For some reason I remember .001" difference in trace length will create a 1 nano second difference between the positive and negative signals. Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back