Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC to AC inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensou_bao

I have asked to build a circuit by transforming a DC 9V battery to output a AC 120V or AC 240V.

I have got this particular circuit online (see attachment )and tried it out, but it seems that I failed. I got 20V AC instead of 240V AC.

2 particular thing seems strange to me as i connect this circuit:
1.) Whenever the 9V battery is connected to the circuit, the multimeter reads as DC 2.5V.
2.) The input to the primary transformer is just 0.4V AC.

Can anyone help me on these problems?
Or rather is the transformer problem?? The specs are, (12V,1A in the primary... 240V in the secondary)

Attachments

• 9V to 120V.jpg
    9V to 120V.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 8,074
hi,
I suspect the transformer and feedback capacitor are failing to make the circuit oscillate correctly.
Do you have any details of the transformer specified in the original design.?

Ya, thanks for replying.
What they mentioned in the original transformer happens to be 13.5V, 1A. That is all...

I'm a newbie to transformer, and I dunno how to use it at all.
so, i figured out to step up the voltage by using a 2nd transformer, (directly connect the secondary of the 1st trans. to the primary of the 2nd trans.), but it totally failed (Is tat the right way to do it?). it seems that i dunno how to load it.

Your help is much appreciated.

Ya, thanks for replying.
What they mentioned in the original transformer happens to be 13.5V, 1A. That is all...

I'm a newbie to transformer, and I dunno how to use it at all.
so, i figured out to step up the voltage by using a 2nd transformer, (directly connect the secondary of the 1st trans. to the primary of the 2nd trans.), but it totally failed (Is tat the right way to do it?). it seems that i dunno how to load it.

Your help is much appreciated.

Hi,
A second transformer will not work as you expect.
What load are you connecting to the transformer output.?

The reason why your 9V battery is being pulled down to 2.5V is because the transformer/100nF circuit is not oscillating, so the battery is being shorted out.

Are you suing all the component values as specified in the original circuit or have you made any changes.?

Hi, Ericgibbs,
My assignment is to create a spark generator. I stumbled upon a circuit known to be Marx Generator and I wanna try it out. There are 3 stages in my whole circuit:
1.) The Dc to AC inverter, I need to generate an output of at least 120V/240V.
2.) Voltage Multiplier. This will produce 6kV. It has 18 stages.
3.) The Marx Generator part. n this will produce the spark for 25kV. It has 5 stages.

I live in Malaysia. I hav tried the 2nd and 3rd part by connecting the input to the main power plug (240V AC, 50Hz) n it succeed.
So, of all of the problems, I'm stucked at the main part, the inverter, and the part seems faulty.

N ya, I followed all of the component in the original circuit and even the model of the component. But just the transformer. Or could it be the circuit (DC to AC) is wrong?

Do you have any suggestion?? Thanks mate.

hi,
By adding these 3 components I can get the oscillator to run in simulation, without them it will not oscillate.
IMO a 9V battery isn't strong enough to drive this circuit.

Attachments

• AAesp04.gif
    AAesp04.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 846
Hi,
It seems tat I cant get the components until Monday. Nonetheless, It's nice to make your acquaintance. Thank you very much. n Keep in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back