Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC charging circuit question (Vs=12v charging 18650 batteries in series (7.4v total)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoghunter

I want to plug a 12v DC charger into a jack on my device to charge (2) 18650 batteries in series (7.4v). Will this safely charge the batteries 'as is' or will I need a voltage dividing circuit to lower the Vs down from 12v. If I do need a voltage divider circuit, what voltage should I be bringing the 12v (Vs) down to?
Thanks for any help and guidance.

Stop, read, learn, about the special requirements for charging Lion batteries... ( You have a lot of reading to do)

Improperly charging Li-ion batteries will result in fire and maybe an impressive firework display. Don't do it.

Mike.

Wow!! Glad I asked. Thank you so much for the heads up! I will do some research and look online for charging modules. I have (3) 18650 batts in series (11.1v), in a holder that I have charged several times to power some prototypes for testing. I have had no issues, luckily. I will definitely heed all of your advice. Safety first!!

Thanks again

If I use one of these (see link below), can I then charge the (2) batteries in series using a std 12v wall charger, safely?

**broken link removed**

That looks like just what you need - protects against overcharging (and the resulting fire risk), and protects against over discharging, ruining the batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back