Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dark Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

tytower

Banned
I got a circuit but I want a circuit that runs on 12 volts DC for a solar garden light project run on battery and solar panel.
To conserve power I would prefer to switch the light on with a transistor or darlington setup. I need it to be adjustable to come on when dark.
Here is the circuit I am starting with . Can anyone assist with a revamp with useable resistor , trany and LDR values please?

Attachments

• DarkDetectorfbgl7o.gif
    DarkDetectorfbgl7o.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
For the benefit of other people that might want help with this, here's a link to the thread on the site where the circuit that the OP is discussing.

Dark Detector

OK so I decided to keep the voltage divider at 10K either side and put a 3.3K resistor in series with the LDR I have . That gives me a 6V output for the comparitor and from 2V in daylight to 7.5V in darkness. That should work OK and multimeter tests show it does what I expect. Now for the comparitor and output

Why don't you let the solar panel let you know the light-level.
When the output voltage from the solar panel is very low, the lights will come on.
If this is ok, you will only need a few components.

Why don't you let the solar panel let you know the light-level.
When the output voltage from the solar panel is very low, the lights will come on.
If this is ok, you will only need a few components.
Hadn't considered that ! Yes like a zener , say 10V , and take its output which is low bbelow 10V to an inverter ? but then still needs a tranny or relay setup.
Is that what you had in mind?

You don't need anything exotic like a zener or inverter. Just two voltage dividers and a couple of trannys (trannys are transvestites where we live).

Trannys are just switches I was taught when they started getting used in the early sixties . But then you are in Melbourne .

So how do you envisage using two votage dividers to get a low voltage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back