D.C. thermal vinyl cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricScott

Hello,

I want to build a tool to cut light-weight vinyl with heat. I cut vinyl all day and scissors go dull very quickly. I would like to have something like an electric (Heat) rope cutter at home depot. I need to have this device battery operated (6v or 12v) as A.C. power is not practical. I need the cutter to turn on via a push button and turn off when released. Total run time will be about 15 - 20 seconds per cut.

I suppose my biggest question to the forum is: How can I regulate the D.C. current to heat the wire?

Thanks

Not AAA batteries ......... I Hope.

I suspect it would be difficult to get a smooth cut because the melted vinyl build-up around the wire. Are you going to use automobile batteries? Because that is probably what you are going to need.
A high current voltage regulator might be what you need to get the correct temperature on your wire.
Another alternative is to get a pair of tungsten carbide scissors.

There are a variety of portable soldering irons. Some use a fuel gas; others use electricity. I have attached images of two electric versions. The larger (Sears) unit is mains powered and is just like the one I use for cutting plastics.

I use a piece of heavy wire for my cutter that has been flattened in the center to cut plastics. The problem, of course, with a portable unit is that battery capacity is not adequate for extended cuts. If I needed longer cuts, I would use a cutter based on fuel gas.

As for current/temperature regulation, there is some regulation from the source with AC powered cutters; however, most of the regulation comes from the user and how fast you move the wire. I would just find a wire of suitable resistance and make fine adjustments with the speed of cut and by pulsing the on/off button.

That is exactly how I control my mains-powered portable iron. John

Attachments

• 00954046000.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 50313.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 130
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…