Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

D.C. thermal vinyl cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricScott

Hello,

I want to build a tool to cut light-weight vinyl with heat. I cut vinyl all day and scissors go dull very quickly. I would like to have something like an electric (Heat) rope cutter at home depot. I need to have this device battery operated (6v or 12v) as A.C. power is not practical. I need the cutter to turn on via a push button and turn off when released. Total run time will be about 15 - 20 seconds per cut.

I suppose my biggest question to the forum is: How can I regulate the D.C. current to heat the wire?

Thanks

Not AAA batteries ......... I Hope.

ElectricScott said:
Hello,

I want to build a tool to cut light-weight vinyl with heat. I cut vinyl all day and scissors go dull very quickly. I would like to have something like an electric (Heat) rope cutter at home depot. I need to have this device battery operated (6v or 12v) as A.C. power is not practical. I need the cutter to turn on via a push button and turn off when released. Total run time will be about 15 - 20 seconds per cut.

I suppose my biggest question to the forum is: How can I regulate the D.C. current to heat the wire?

Thanks

I suspect it would be difficult to get a smooth cut because the melted vinyl build-up around the wire. Are you going to use automobile batteries? Because that is probably what you are going to need.
A high current voltage regulator might be what you need to get the correct temperature on your wire.
Another alternative is to get a pair of tungsten carbide scissors.

There are a variety of portable soldering irons. Some use a fuel gas; others use electricity. I have attached images of two electric versions. The larger (Sears) unit is mains powered and is just like the one I use for cutting plastics.

I use a piece of heavy wire for my cutter that has been flattened in the center to cut plastics. The problem, of course, with a portable unit is that battery capacity is not adequate for extended cuts. If I needed longer cuts, I would use a cutter based on fuel gas.

As for current/temperature regulation, there is some regulation from the source with AC powered cutters; however, most of the regulation comes from the user and how fast you move the wire. I would just find a wire of suitable resistance and make fine adjustments with the speed of cut and by pulsing the on/off button.

That is exactly how I control my mains-powered portable iron. John

Attachments

• 00954046000.jpg
    00954046000.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 50313.jpg
    50313.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 129
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back