Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cypress Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

beginner2

is Cypress Microcontroller CY7C64013-SC and CY7C63001A-PC compatible with MCS-51 Products?
and if i use this type of USB uC, can i still be able to communicate with PC through RS232 interface?

can pls enlighten me ?

thanks

Are you sure you want to use the Cypress microcontrollers?

Are you aware that those are full blown 8 bit microcontrollers, just like the Intel MCS-51, and not just USB interface ICs?

Also, what do you mean by "compatible"?

What are you trying to do?

Your question just begs for more questions. Please be more precise.

Joel Rainville said:
Are you sure you want to use the Cypress microcontrollers?

Are you aware that those are full blown 8 bit microcontrollers, just like the Intel MCS-51, and not just USB interface ICs?

Also, what do you mean by "compatible"?

What are you trying to do?

Your question just begs for more questions. Please be more precise.

sorry sir, what do u mean by "a full blown 8 bit microcontrollers"?

i have posted a thread here....

i hope brothers and sisters here can give me some technical opinion for my design.

thanks.

The best way to quickly interface your circuit to USB is FTDI chip, FT232BM. It converts USB into either RS232 or RS485, so you can interface that to most of microcontrollers.

beginner2 said:
is Cypress Microcontroller CY7C64013-SC and CY7C63001A-PC compatible with MCS-51 Products?
and if i use this type of USB uC, can i still be able to communicate with PC through RS232 interface?

The Cypress controllers are a combined USB interface and a 51-like microcontroler in one chip. The tricky thing with this circuit is that the microcontroller program is RAM-based and downloaded through the USB port every time you start the USB thingy. To do this you need a special USB driver supplied by Cypress. You can't use a generic serial port USB-driver for this. If you are a PC-wizard i dont think its a problem, but if not, stay away from the Cypress chips. I suppose it's not a problem for you, but at my company we implemented this chip 2- 3 years ago and Cypress has managed to make two versions obsolete during that time. Not a very wise selection, if you ask me.

Use a FTDI chip and a standard -51 mcu version if you want to use this type of controller.

TOK ;)

The CY7C64013 is definitely NOT 8051 compatible, and is a one-time programmable (OTP) part. As this part does not appear to have a UART peripheral, you will need to implement a software UART if you want to connect to a PC with RS-232.

Please check the Cypress web site for product catalog and data sheets. I don't see any 63xxx parts, but I do see 68xxx parts. Some have 8051 cores, some have no (microcontroller) cores. I don't know if all of the 8051 compatibles have the ability to boot from an EEPROM. The original 8051 compatibles that were designed by Anchor Chips had the option to boot from an I2C EEPROM. I would expect to find at least one UART available on an 8051, but check the data sheets to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back