Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

customising tail lights

nipper62

i want to redo my tail lights with diodes, and need advice on where to source good quality parts diodes resistors modules etc also would they be legal on uk roads. my audi has bulb warning system would this be affected. thanks in advance

Exterior car lights have to go through an approval process to makes sure that they give out the right colour, amount of light, and spread of light. It's not legal to modify the lights, for instance by changing the bulbs, but it they look the same it's highly unlikely that anyone would notice.

Bulb warning systems will almost certainly get upset by LED lights. In many cases the lights won't turn on, because overzealous fault detection often checks that the lights conduct at low voltage when turned off and will not subsequently turn off.

I think that's stupid, because if something (such as LED bulbs) causes the detection to see a fault, then things like tail or brake lights are disabled. If the bulbs really aren't taking any current, there is no harm turning them on, so the fault detection can cause a problem and isn't solving anything.

Often a resistor in parallel with the lamp will fix the false detection of the lamp as failed, but will usually then prevent the warning system from actually detecting a failed lamp. It's a legal requirement for there to be blown bulb detection on the direction indicators.

Exterior car lights have to go through an approval process to makes sure that they give out the right colour, amount of light, and spread of light. It's not legal to modify the lights, for instance by changing the bulbs, but it they look the same it's highly unlikely that anyone would notice.

Bulb warning systems will almost certainly get upset by LED lights. In many cases the lights won't turn on, because overzealous fault detection often checks that the lights conduct at low voltage when turned off and will not subsequently turn off.

I think that's stupid, because if something (such as LED bulbs) causes the detection to see a fault, then things like tail or brake lights are disabled. If the bulbs really aren't taking any current, there is no harm turning them on, so the fault detection can cause a problem and isn't solving anything.

Often a resistor in parallel with the lamp will fix the false detection of the lamp as failed, but will usually then prevent the warning system from actually detecting a failed lamp. It's a legal requirement for there to be blown bulb detection on the direction indicators.
opening up a hornets nest comes to mind, appreciate your thoughts. looks like 2nd hand units the way to go thankyou

You haven't specified what vehicle tail lights you wish to modify to LED output. Audi and Toyota use LEDs in their tail lights and all corner lamps. Dealers can tell you about intensity and placement in the lens to avoid suspicion from law enforcement.

You haven't specified what vehicle tail lights you wish to modify to LED output. Audi and Toyota use LEDs in their tail lights and all corner lamps. Dealers can tell you about intensity and placement in the lens to avoid suspicion from law enforcement.
its an audi a3 8p, now ordered new ones rather than open up that hornets nest of regs and rules

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back