Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current sources for load referred to ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
After reading about constant current sources, I defined the four cases shown in the pdf. Current should go up to 250 mA.

Implementing B and C with the attached circuit (and its counterpart) is straightforward, but I am not sure how to proceed for A and D. I cannot have Rsense referred to ground anymore.

How could I go away with no fancy ICs?

Gracias for any help.

Attachments

• Posibles CCS.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 176
  • Modelo CCS.asc
    2.5 KB · Views: 136
Here's one....
upload_2014-11-26_14-44-22.png

Wade's is very temperature sensitive.

How stable is the Supply voltage? If not very stable, then you should use a voltage reference (like a TL431) connected between the supply and the non-inverting input of the opamp. You can get by running the opamp on the same supply (no neg supply needed). I would use a straight PNP Darlington emitter follower or a PFET; not the compound NPN-PNP inverting connection which is likely to cause instability because it is inside the opamp's feedback loop.

Here is how I would do a ground-reference Load: Simulation is for load resistances varying from 1 to 15 Ohms at four different supply voltages: 9,10,11 and 12V

CCSm.gif

Last edited:
Hola Mike

No chances to run LTSpice where I am right now.

With the TL431 you ensure a stable value at the noninverting input but V+ could still change wildly, right?

I would like to change current from 0 to 250 mA at will.

Last night I started to consider using a current mirror. Is that too daring?

I made a +-50 mA current source, compliance around 10V using an LT1010 as a buffer. Other stuff had to drive a capacitative load and was unstable, so I used the info in the application note.

A current mirror built out of discrete NPNs, PNPs, and diodes will have a temperature drift problem. Using a TL431 in place of the Zener would greatly improve the Power Supply Rejection Ratio (PSRR), and also improve the temperature related drift. Here is a way of making it adjustable:

CCsn.gif

Hey Mike. Happy Thanksgiving!

Can you throw some capacitance on the output and see what happens? e.g. 1 uF

Seems like the topic of the month is alternators, doesn't it?

Here is the transient response. V1 introduces a 200mV step. The settling time and over-shoot of V(g) is the critical node to watch.

CCSt.gif

Last edited:
The thing I was doing is making a 4-terminal current to voltage converter. When I was done it had 4 ranges with +-10V representing +-100 mA. it was capable of +-10 v biasing. It had a Voc mode. It did fine on the AC performance and reasonably well. It had like a 40 pA offset without any nulling. I could not complete the nulling circuit and that wasn't the interest. No manual nulling was possible in the design. I added +-50 mA of suppression, but that meant that the bias was limited to +-5V. Usually we were interested in +-1.5V max anyway. I used 400 meg resistors so the sense leads could be disconnected.

It was a front end to a DSP lock-in amplifier to measure the spectral response of a solar cell. Monochromatic light was chopped at about 40 Hz and the solar cell was connected to this I-V converter. During bench tests it was fine, but when I attached a calibration 1 cm*2 cell, it went unstable.

The thing I was doing is making a 4-terminal current to voltage converter. When I was done it had 4 ranges with +-10V representing +-100 mA. it was capable of +-10 v biasing. It had a Voc mode. It did fine on the AC performance and reasonably well. It had like a 40 pA offset without any nulling. I could not complete the nulling circuit and that wasn't the interest. No manual nulling was possible in the design. I added +-50 mA of suppression, but that meant that the bias was limited to +-5V. Usually we were interested in +-1.5V max anyway. I used 400 meg resistors so the sense leads could be disconnected.

It was a front end to a DSP lock-in amplifier to measure the spectral response of a solar cell. Monochromatic light was chopped at about 40 Hz and the solar cell was connected to this I-V converter. During bench tests it was fine, but when I attached a calibration 1 cm*2 cell, it went unstable.
Sounds interesting, but I don't see how that's particularly related to the title of this thread. :confused:

crutschow: The suppression section was indeed a current source referred to ground, but it was bipolar. I also had stability issues that I fixed.

Gracias Mosaic

Been there...

I simulated the bipolar current mirror in LTSpice and Proteus ISIS using 2n3906 as a current source. . LTspice sims it fine...it does indeed work. ISIS has issues...things like Vce-SAT in excess of spec going on, end result being currents aren't mirrored at all.

EDIT: Multisim Blue seemed to do a better job than both other sims w.r.t. Vce -sat . I t showed an 8% variation in current when using different colour LEDs and Vf as the loads.

Last edited:
Today I will start testing the topology I posted in the OP, for the four cases. It is to have them ready built at the bench to avoid assembling one every time I need to test something.

Gracias for replying.

Interestingly, I was trying to establish a constant current for some 7 LEDS (3.2Vf) from a Li Ion battery...3.6 to 4.1V with emitter degradation and a base V ref with NPN's works but requires as many resistors as transistors (7) plus a Vref. About 16 parts for constant current.
Resistors (22 ohm) alone cause current to vary from about 40mA down to 18mA over the batteries useful voltage range. 7 parts, current with 55% tolerance
Using the current mirror bipolar approach (8 transistors) a single 82 ohm derives the mirror currents at 40mA/4.1V which drops to 34mA at 3.6V from the LTspice sim. 9 parts delivering a current with 15% tolerance.

Seems the current mirror will do the trick in a tight PCB that uses discrete thru hole parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back