Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creative A520 subwoofer bass controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

I have managed to remove the bass controller knob. Noticed there was a nut holding it in place. Proceeded to unscrew the nut and then with the help of a spudger, slightly moved the potentiometer away from its position and was able to note its value. It stated B50K which I believe is a linear pot with 50K ohms.

Now coming to the next set of actions, I feel that the pot's legs cannot be cut off as there is hardly any space (for a cutter to enter) between the pot and the pcb it is soldered on. Hence I think the only way might be to desolder the existing pot. Meanwhile, I have got a 47k pot which I am thinking of replacing the existing one with. Now my queries:

1) I noticed that the soldered part of the existing pot's legs seem to be laminated with the remaining board (kind of a smooth surface) unlike a regular soldering connection. Would there be any harm to the board or neighbouring components (I can see an SMD resisitor close to it) by desoldering the legs (planning to use a desolder wick)?

2) The pot I have got is similar to the one with wide legs with loops in the given link (https://potentiallabs.com/cart/buy-...MI9uGkkobu4wIVRwwrCh1mwwgoEAYYAiABEgIzNvD_BwE). Hence it would not be able to pass through the hole on the pcb. I was thinking of stripping a 22 SWG wire, attaching it to the holes and then passing it through the holes on the PCB and soldering it on the other side. Would this be a sensible approach? Let me know if not?

Thanks.

Joe

Since the bass level control is used only one time to set it so the bass sounds good, then why not use a little preset trimmer pot?
On my stereos I usually never touch the tone controls again after setting them to sound good.

If you wire in a pot then the wires should be very short so that they do not pickup interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back