Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Humidifall controller diagnosis & repair. Indoor waterfall controller

K-fab

I have a fairly simple circuit that controls a water feature like you see in a mall.

The drive circuit for the pump has lost voltage. Output has gone from a steady 120VAC to fluctuating between 14 & 60 or so (hard to get accurate reading with just a Fluke multimeter set on AC auto range as it cycles).

If I were to guess, I would think it's an issue with one of, if not all, three MOSFETS on the board - these go to power out and drive the pump motor.

Besides the obvious "just replace them all", I'd like to try to diagnose the issue.

I was able to activate a relay to drive the pump motor off of an output but there's a timing problem when it switches off that makes the relay jump instead of just uncoupling. This pisses off the system on occasion and I have to completely reboot the system.

Anyone here good at chasing something like this? It's a step above my electrical abilities.
I know enough to know I don't know quite enough.

The company that made the controller, Humidifall, was out of Missouri up to about 5 years ago. Web search brings up old phone number and web site (at least for me).

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpeg
    IMG_0527.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 81
Do you have a schematic you can post ?

Obviously look at following :

1) Solder joints
2) Heat discoloration areas
3) Bulging capacitors
1698597257710.png

4) Replicated circuits, MOC3023, compare device pins to ground with ohmmeter.
Unlikely all blew so if one is discrepant with the other 5 thats a clue.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
No, I don't have anything other than the board itself. No schematics - that would make it too easy.

I don't see any components that have let the smoke out of themselves nor anything on the board that appears to be compromised. I'll check the MOSFET readings against one and other.

Hello K-fab. We have a Humidifall installed in our home. Pretty much worked fine for 18 years. Now that we're selling the house, the Humifiall is not functioning properly. BTW: Humidifall went out of business during COVID and ESP Water Products picked their products line. Anyhow, every time I try to adjust the water flow or light from the panel near the Humidifall itself, it shuts down and I get a code : r.01 Could not find it in the Humidifall literature I have collected over the years. Three electricians who looked at the system determined it is a problem with either the panel or in the circuit board. However, none had the skills to analyze the board and ascertain the problem. Anyhelp is very welcome.
thx
Romano

Wow! A response. I'm impressed. - and I see you're in the same boat as I am, eh?

The only literature that I have is the installation/instruction manual. I just had a look through it and don't find the r.01 code.

I have an engineering friend that is familiar with Arduino systems. I mentioned the issues I'm having and he said that he could probably develop a new board for it so we'll see next month when he comes to visit.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back