Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

My direct answer to the first post in this thread is Inkscape (they use to say it's the free alternative to Illustrator). I've used that program for some years now both in job and private, and I would have no problems making such graph :cool:.

Hi.

My direct answer to the first post in this thread is Inkscape (they use to say it's the free alternative to Illustrator). I've used that program for some years now both in job and private, and I would have no problems making such graph :cool:.
I believe it to be good, however!!! I was lost within minutes... I thought it was a steep learning curve..

Yeah i tried Inkscape for about 10min a year ago and opt out :( I dont think anything should be that weird. I do have photoshop and could have used it instead but still like this better.

Inkscape is to be learned by using it over time. If you never heard about Excel and suddenly was about setting up the financial, you would be lost too spending ten minutes trying to figure out by yourself.
spend time, read the guides (you find links on the website) and you'll get the hang of it. And there is forums with where you can ask for help :).

What I try to say is that you need spend more then ten minutes - it's not MS paint ;)

When engineering and designing I always download specifications for ALL parts used in my projects. Years down the road they do come in handy especially when the original parts are no longer available.

I have used Lucid Chart (free version) for a few years. It is intuitive. It is free. You don't get bombarded constantly with spam. It is expensive, if you buy a professional version, but I have not noted any deficiencies in the free version. I use it mostly for flow charts and it is far superior to PowerPoint that I used before.

John

Hola John,

Could you show one of those charts?

An example is in the pdf attachment.
I use Lucid Chart for flow charts. When I was actively teaching, I might add a little color, but nothing as vivid as in the original post for this thread.

John

Attachments

• UART.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 158
but nothing as vivid as in the original post for this thread.

Too "vivid" for my liking. Much the same as people being emphatic in all what they say. You rsik to end finding them ridiculous...and not paying attention anymore.

Imagine a manual FULL of those diagrams. Oh no, thanks.

An example is in the pdf attachment.
I use Lucid Chart for flow charts.

Looks good enough.

I use Corel Draw for all my schematics and flow charts. I find it easy to use, maybe for 13++ years by now.

The flow chart, BTW, is running in my micro on the bench, right now. Decided to draw mine after verifying in paper, how the algorithm actually works. Required very little tweaking of the ID buffer.

Attachments

• RAZ.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 129
  • DS18S20 flow ALARM SEARCH ROM.pdf
    19 KB · Views: 186
Hi Jason. I did this quickly in open office draw. Im not familiar with all the features and gave it my best shot. its just a rough sketch :)

Attachments

• 18F13k22.bmp
    1.4 MB · Views: 227
I have smartdraw but it cost 200 bucks. I wrote most of it off as a business expense :)

For flowcharts check out this free offering. You get more than you pay for it.

yEd Graph Editor at https://www.yworks.com/en/products/yfiles/yed/
What is the cost? The page fail to inform about that, and I won't use my time to finding a hidden (or just hard to find) price tag.

There is tons of free applications that also can draw flowcharts. Some few is to be mentioned: Libre Office Draw, DIA, Inkscape, ... an the list goes on - I haven't tested them all.

If your trying to make a go at a company, don't skimp on tools needed to appear successful, in the end you will look and be perceived as small time. Pay what you need to come off professional, if you can't afford this, then perhaps your plans need to be put on hold. You can't start on the cheap.
I am in the process of starting a new company, so far I am in the hole $5k, on software tools, development boards, parts and such. My wife questions me, but I tell her it is necessary to make my plan work. Investors won't invest in someone who is not all in. My 2.2 cents worth, and now I need to add that to my expense ledger:)
My time is valuable now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back