Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hey guys long time no see :)

I was wondering, what program do people use to create their documentation like:

adafruit-image-png.93664

I love how its color aligned or something. The little semi-round boxes and such. What can i use to create something like that? Or is this a pure photoshop time consumer?

Last edited:
Your image is a website URL, not an image. I downloaded it and attached it as an image here, not as a URL:

Attachments

• adafruit image.png
    adafruit image.png
    175.7 KB · Views: 458
Microsoft Visio springs to mind but it's not cheap!

You could probably create something similar with MS Excel?

Last edited:
Microsoft Viseo springs to mind but it's not cheap!

You could probably create something similar with MS Excel?

I have used Visio. You'd be better off using Paint :p

Visio definitely has its place, it's very useful for creating flow charts and whatnot. However, when it comes to actual illustrations, it is probably not your best option.

I could create all that quite quickly with OpenOffice draw... Turn on the grid, turn on snap to grid then select all the components from the flowchart icon in the drawing toolbar..

Free as well.....

I have used and like Visio but as mentioned the basic Visio package is about $300 so unless you plan to use it quite a bit it is hardly worth it. Then there is this, Thousands of companies have switched to Lucidchart. I have never used it so I can't tell you much about it. Microsoft Visio does offer a trial version if you want to give it a try. Visio does have a bit of a learning curve but as mentioned I did like it when I was using it.

Ron
I have used Lucid Chart (free version) for a few years. It is intuitive. It is free. You don't get bombarded constantly with spam. It is expensive, if you buy a professional version, but I have not noted any deficiencies in the free version. I use it mostly for flow charts and it is far superior to PowerPoint that I used before.

John

The best tool is the one you know or learn how to use well.

At one time I could have easily done this with Excel with lines connected to objects and can be aligned, grouped and equi-spaced.
upload_2015-8-12_21-27-52.png

This was just a quick and dirty object created in Open Office, which is inferior. My successful use was creating a full custom Picture Toolbar of all the icons not typically shown. ( left align selected objects, etc)

Last edited:
Lucid Chart is free for about 7 days only :( looks nice too!

I might just make my own... Doesnt seem to hard to make it. Wont have so many bells and whistles but will do what i need. Ill update you all and will post status of the program here as well. When done with a beta i will place a link and share :)

Lucid Chart is free for about 7 days only :( looks nice too!
Your comment worried me that the policy had changed. Here's the screen I get when signing on:
upload_2015-8-13_2-51-59.png

It may have added some limitations, but the free account still exists. Lack of access to Visio and premium shapes hasn't affected my use, which is primarily for flowcharts and similar.
John

I guess I'll see after6 days.. Open office is cool tho. The PDF export is super crisp. Unlike the above jpeg. When I get back I'll post my pdf

I could create all that quite quickly with OpenOffice draw... Turn on the grid, turn on snap to grid then select all the components from the flowchart icon in the drawing toolbar..

Free as well.....
Thanks.. This was a excellent small tutorial which helped me create the pdf

Using my cell to upload. Might change colors and if anyone wants... https://hackaday.io/project/6855-zerowatch

Attachments

• ZeroWatch.pdf
    150 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back