Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating a Moving Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachBig

I'm considering starting a project but I wanted to get some input on if it is at all possible?
I'm a PaintBaller...and I enjoy the sport tremendously, and wanted to work on my firing skills individually, so here is my question.

Would it be possible to place an iflatable on a RC Platform(Moving Target) and input a course into that platform, have the RCP run it's course, return to it's original starting point, pause, and then continue on a different inputted course, after that course is completed, return to it's original starting point again, and so forth?

I have an idea about the RC Platform I want to use, but as far as the electronics need for this project, I have no idea...I'm guessing a microcontroller and programming software may be involved from the online research I conducted. The RCP does not need vision, as there will be no obstacles to maneuver around, this is more about target practice than simulation. I want to be able to place the RCP on any field and it will run the same courses or any courses that I choose to input.
Like I said I will be working individually, so having my laptop, IPad, or another control mechanism to steer the RCP would be optimal. Thank you for any suggestions

CoachBig

Yes, this is possible; to make it easy on yourself, I would stick with a "standard" hobby R/C vehicle for the platform, as they are controlled via servos and/or ESC (electronic speed controllers), which are very easy to interface to most microcontrollers. Unfortunately, such platforms aren't cheap, but they are very rugged and powerful, which might be needed for your application (ie, you might want to add some "armor" to them so that certain parts aren't "pegged" with paintballs, gumming up the works (which you would need to clean and/or replace - and parts can get expensive, too). The nice thing about such a platform, though, is that if something breaks, it is fairly easy to fix (because the parts will likely be available).

If you have some mechanical skills, you might be able to build your own "tank"-style platform, similar to the r/c paintball tanks here: https://rctankcombat.com/

It wouldn't have to be as "advanced" - you could, for instance, use simple inverted (turned "inside out") timing belts for the "treads", and custom sheaves for the wheels/bogies - on a small body, etc. The motors you could buy surplus, and buy or build an h-bridge to drive them (purchasing such a h-bridge might be preferable, as many have R/C servo inputs).

Another possibility would be to use a modified child's ride-on toy (like a Powerwheels ride-on).

For the on-board microcontroller (or, depending on the size of the platform, you might be able to use a larger PC motherboard), you would need some kind of wireless communication (wifi ethernet, or RF communication modules, or xbee) for reprogramming, etc while out in the field...

For a simple straight line movement you could use a winch and pulley system. But I suspect you want something more random?

The problem would be getting the right kind of feed back so it knows where it is.
If you run the program on a time bases it will be off as the battery's die. The RC will slow down and may not make it back to start.
If you use it on hard dirt it will run different on soft dirt.
You would almost need GPS to get it back to the same home position every time under different circumstances.
Thats why most targets will use a track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back