Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CPU & FSB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneshane1

Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me if my FSB(Front Side Bus) of my motherboard is double/quad pumped, or if it pumped at all, i cant work out how to tell with the specs i have, they are as follows:

Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+

Core speed = 1600 MHz(1.6g)

Multiplier = x8.0

Bus speed = 200.0 MHz

HT Link = 800.0 MHz

Could someone please explain how finding this information is possible or is it possible through the specs i have given?

You have to find out what motherboard you have and look at the manufacturer's website. I think you also have to find out if your processor supports it. If you don't know your motherboard then it's kind of pointless whether or not your processor supports it (which you also need to find out).

Last edited:
From my memory I believe Intel quad pump the FSB and AMD double clock the FSB, as yours is AMD it would be doubled.

bloke_man said:
From my memory I believe Intel quad pump the FSB and AMD double clock the FSB, as yours is AMD it would be doubled.

I've been doing some home work since i posted this thread, and i have learn't that AMD's don't have a front side bus, they have what is called a HT link, which is similar to a FSB, so it is quad pumped because my "BUS" speed is 200MHz and my HT LINK is 800MHz 800/200 = 4

bloke_man said:

As I said from my memory....anyhow download a utility called CPUZ from here:
https://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
This will verify your core frequency, FSB and other specs'

Meanwhile...This is what I found!
The Sempron comes in 3 varieties, on the desktop there are Socket A and Socket 754 models. On the Mobile side there are Sempron’s based on Socket 754. Our Sempron review sample is a Socket A 2800+ clocked at 2Ghz where as a Thoroughbred Athlon XP was 2800+ clocked at 2.2ghz. The Sempron FSB is running at 166MHz (333 MHz effective) as the Thoroughbred also did and really, that’s all you need to know about the CPU.

Source:https://www.directron.com/fsbguide.html#part3

Double Pumped bus w/DDR
As time progressed processor and memory manufacturers found ways of improving the number of access times per cycle. With the release of the AMD Athlon Processor the world saw the concept of a "Double Pumped FSB". With a double pumped bus the processor could send and receive a signal from the memory sub system twice a cycle. This was a great idea; however this meant that standard SDRAM memory no longer lined up. Standard SDRAM memory could only send/receive once a cycle. What was created is what is known as a bottleneck -- or an obstacle to maximum performance. Removing the bottleneck required a new and faster type of memory and the memory that filled this gap was DDR memory or Double Data Rate memory.DDR memory can transmit twice a cycle just like the double pumped bus on an Athlon processor, which means that using it with an Athlon processor creates an optimized situation just like you had before with the traditional system.

Quad Pumping
When the Pentium 4 came out they introduced a new catch phrase to the market: "Quad Pumped" (also known as QDR). The Pentium 4 FSB can handle 4 signals a cycle. When the P4 was first released motherboards only supported traditional SDRAM accessing once a cycle. As you can imagine, such a combination of single access a cycle memory and a four access a cycle processor gives you a massive bottleneck and greatly reduces the potential performance of the processor.

Run CPUz, in the clocks window the truth shall be revealed!

Attachments

• cpuz.JPG
    cpuz.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Thanks, i have already got cpuid, and i understand all about double and quad pumping now, but when i first made this thread i didn't, Thanks for the help on the subject though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back