Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Counting circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec123

Hi,

Please find a countdown circuit attatched that Electric Rain provided me with. I have a few questions about adapting the circuit:

1. How do adapt the circuit to count up instead of down?
2. How do I count up in hours aswell as minutes and seconds?
3. How do I add a reset switch which will set the counter to zero?

I'm trying to use the circuit in conjuction with a tennis scoreboard to measure the duration of the game. But obviously the circuit needs to count up not down!

Any help and Ideas would be great

Attachments

• countdown_circuit.gif
    countdown_circuit.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 697
Since the heart of circuit a PIC microcontroller, You can do this by program modifications.

Sebi,

I've never used PIC's in a project before, could you explain how they work and how I can achieve my results by 'program modifications' sorry if this is obvious but i'm a relative newbie to electronics.

How can I adapt the circuit to count up in hours aswell as minutes?

Thanx

Did you get some kind of program listing/assembly code to go along with the circuit? Unlike dedicated hardware circuits, the PIC is a general-purpose microcontroller that needs program code to tell it what to do. The circuit shown just provides a "framework" for a counting circuit, you still need to burn an appropriate counting program into the PICs' flash memory.
Working with micro's involves a certain amount of overhead. If you're not that comfortable with electronics yet, you may want to look for a counting circuit that uses discrete MSI hardware ICs. The circuit would require more chips, but no programming is involved.

Do u know where I can find a circuit that will count in hours minutes and seconds and has the ability to reset? I want to use the clock to measure the time of tennis matches.

I've looked on the web for sites that provide project ideas and circuit diagrams with no luck if u could point me in the right directions that would be great

Display & timer

The subject of long (& accurate) timers has come up often enough here that I'd like to contribute a few circuits to the "Projects" forum. Separate the display and timer parts. You should be able to find plenty of LED display circuits here and elsewhere on the web. I'll provide some suitable timer schematics, within a week. At the very least, acquire a 32KHz crystal and a CD4060 or 74HC4060. - C

You're welcome. :) So, where do we stand? How far along are you? Are there any questions that you still need answered? Don't hesitate to let me know so I can help. :wink: I'm afraid I'm not to good with electronics yet, but my research skills are what helps me very much. 8)

Well I'm using one of the circuits u provided for my clock but still haven't found anything to do the physical scoring.

I basically I want to push switches for each player when they win a point and there score to be displayed on 7-seg displays ( e.g. 0 15 30 40 when its a players advantage i want AD to be displayed.

Once a game is won I want the score in games to be recorded e.g. 6-3 and then go on to the next set.

Any ideas?

Now any circuits I can adapt for my scoreboard

Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back