Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

COUNT.IF does apply here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I was asked to help a student with the basics of Excel. It's embarrasing but I couldn't solve this:

There is a list of 69 students, males and females, (M and F) of varying ages.

I am asked to tell in a cell, the number of females older than 17.

I tried to use the function COUNT.IF, as follows:

=COUNT.IF(C2:C70;AND(E2 : E70="F";D2 : D70>17))

range C2:C70 with the names (I expect the function to count over this range's cells)
range D2: D70 with the ages
range E2:E70 with F or M

Please note that I tried to translate the functions that in Spanish show up as (longtime I don't use an English version of Excel):

CONTAR.SI (conditional counting)
Y (direct equivalent of a boolean AND)

What I am doing wrong?

The usual (useless) disclaimer "I used to be profficient in this..." also applies....:eek::eek::eek:

The only way I know to do this is with an array function.

Enter the formula,
Code:
=SUM((D2:D70>17)*(E2:E70="f"))

and then press ctrl-shift-enter to enter it. Excel will place {} braces around the formula and treat it as an array. Whenever you access this cell you must press ctrl-shift-enter or it will stop working.

Mike.
I had to enter it in a code box or the BB software put smiley faces in it.

Other solution?

Thanks for that Mike,

At this stage of the starting level of that student, matrix maths is not an option.

I found a less-than-perfect solution solving one of the logic tests recording the resulting TRUE/FALSEs in a column and then applying COUNTIF to it.

Excel 2007 comes with COUNTIFS which solves this complex problems straight, but I run on the 2003 version.

If not resorting to yours nor to mine, do you think there is any other elegant solution?

I'm afraid that's the only way I know how to do it without an intermediate column.

BTW, Excel 2003 is luxury - I'm still on Office 2000!!

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back