Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Copper pour on top layer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomsCircuit

Designspark 9.0.4
ive got a 2 layer pcb. ive added a ground plane to the bottom without a problem. it has been suggested that i add a copper pour to the top layer as well. just cant figure out if im doing it right. Do i assign a net like the previous? how do i set it to be on TOP?
Ive tried to add it without assigning a net but i get a report with an error "no area could be defined" something to that effect. sorry i closed the report. thought my noggin had some room left to remember a simple phrase. guess not. help if you can. thank you

Attachments

• ClosetTimerLimited Backup1.jpg
    ClosetTimerLimited Backup1.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 270
1) Find he node number (net number) of your "ground" (high lite, right click, select properties)

2) click the outline of the pour to highlight

3) right click on the outline and select "change layer" or "next layer" and follow prompts to get it on the layer you want

3) click the copper pour button in the toolbar. In the dialog box, enter the net number of the ground net
Click ok

ok. i did it. it was painless. thank you. i did get this report.

U1.6 at 379.7,592.3 on layer Inner Signal has no thermal spokes.
is this a problem for me?

Attachments

• PourError.jpg
    PourError.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 224
Designspark 9.0.4
ive got a 2 layer pcb. ive added a ground plane to the bottom without a problem. it has been suggested that i add a copper pour to the top layer as well. just cant figure out if im doing it right. Do i assign a net like the previous? how do i set it to be on TOP?

1. Add the copper pour area outline to the PCB board.

Change the layer:
2. highlight the pour outline (click any segment of the outline), then rht-click, select "change layer".
View copper pour properties to verify the layer or hover mouse over pour.

Assign to net:
3. highlight the pour outline (click any segment of the outline), then rht-click, select "add toNet"
and select the net name you want to assign to the pour.
View copper pour properties to verify the net or hover mouse over pour.

ok. i did it. it was painless. thank you. i did get this report.

U1.6 at 379.7,592.3 on layer Inner Signal has no thermal spokes.
is this a problem for me?

If the pin pad is supposed to be connected to the pour:
The pin pad is surrounded by tracks and there is no way for the copper pour to make a connection to the pin.
You'll need to move tracks so the pour can connect.

Oh my. I was so close to being finished. The problem is the copper layers are covering up my tracks so its impossible for me to manipulate them.

the top copper pour is not mandatory.
But there must be a clearance setting problem. It shouldn’t cover the traces.

It shouldn’t cover the traces.
ive been keeping separate stages of the pcb on my hard drive. here is a state before any pours. pin 6 is circled. i just need a suggection of what i could move.

Attachments

• moveTracks.jpg
    moveTracks.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 231
You appear to have plenty of room to move the blue tracks within the IC area further upwards, giving more space near the pins.

Also note that right-angles are bad practice; put a short 45' segent in anywhere you have a 90' bend; you have that is some places but not all.
And there is no good reason to use extremely narrow tracks if you have room for wider ones - eg. keep signal tracks at least 1mm wide where you can, and power tracks rather wider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back