Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

converting solar to mains

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could also make a small circuit board at the LM317 with a 220 ohm resistor feeding each globe.

just a slight confusion here that I need clarifying.... if the led in each light needs a 220 ohms resistor do i configure it how diagram 1 is or diagram 2

DIAG 3.JPG

Last edited:
The globes in your diagram 1 will be dim because a 220 ohm resistor is used with one LED, not four LEDs.

I am assuming that each globe or the circuit that powered them does not have a resistor in series with each globe. I assume that each set of four globes are matched.
Since you have 4 globes that were matched, connected together and powered from one solar stepup circuit then you can continue to have the SAME 4 globes connected together and powered from ONE resistor. The resistor value is calculated from simple Ohm's Law like before: R= V/I. V is (7.5V - 3.2V=) 4.3V and I is (4 x 20mA=) 80mA. Then R= 4.3V/80mA= 53.75 ohms which is not a standard value. Use 56 ohms. Use a 56 ohms resistor to power each matched set of 4 globes. The heating power in the resistor is 80mA x 4.3V= 0.344W so use 1/2W resistors.

Or you can use one 220 ohm resistor for each globe.

so diagram 2 is a correct way of doing it and if I replace the 220 ohms with a 56 ohms resistor in diagram 1 that would also be correct, so I could choose which configuration suits me best

so diagram 2 is a correct way of doing it and if I replace the 220 ohms with a 56 ohms resistor in diagram 1 that would also be correct, so I could choose which configuration suits me best
Yes.

hi audioguru, I have everything setup now...everythings connected to the lm317 board and its set at 7.5v , everything connected comes to about 1.5 amps..the lm317 board is heatsinked and it allows upto 2 amps.... the heatsink is really,really hot.... its to hot to touch for more than a couple seconds ...will the heat be ok or will it be a problem?

How do you get 1.5A?? You do not have many LEDs. In post # 56 you calculated 850mA.
The LM317 has an input of 12V and an output of 7.5V so it has 4.5V across it. Then its heating is 4.5V x 850mA= 3.83W which needs a heatsink for cooling.
I do not know why the current is now 1.5A but if it is then the LM317 heats with 4.5V x 1.5A= 6.75W which needs a pretty big heatsink.
Please post a sketch showing all the strings, globes, lanterns and resistors.

hi audioguru, I added an extra lantern and some strings....I have 12 globes with 20 ma in each= 240 mah....... 5 lanterns with 40ma in each = 200mah ......... 4 strings in 1 part of the garden comprising of 1x200 2x100 and 1x50 and finally I put 3 strings on a tree which comprises of 1x100 and 2x50 .... I just equalled the strings to 150ma each although I think its just the 200 string that's 150mah ( do you halve it to 75mah for the 100 and 37.5mah for the 50? ) anyway globes and lanterns total 440mah and the strings will either be 1050mah ( if its 150mah for each string ) or 487.5 mah ( if I halve and quarter the 200 string for the 100 and 50 strings )..... here is a link to the lm317 I bought with the heatsink on...is that heatsink good enough... **broken link removed**

The tiny heatsink might be good for 2W or less. You need a 6.75W heatsink or four of those Chinese voltage regulator circuits with the loads divided among them.

Since a little 1200mAh AA battery cell powers a 200 LED fairy light string for 8 hours then the current from the 1.2V battery is 1200/8= 150mA.
But the voltage is boosted to about 3.2V so the current at 3.2V is (1.2V/3.2V) x 150mA= 56.3mA. I think you turned up the brightness which increased the current a lot.
A string with half the number of paralleled LEDs uses half the current.

would it be better to forget about the lm317 board and buy a 7.5v 2 amp adapter, they sell 2 amp ones on ebay which can be set to 7.5v ..would that be better? if not where would I get a 6.75 watt heatsink.. I take it I just desolder the heatsink on it already and solder on the 6.75w heatsink

just looked on ebay and would this heatsink be ok .... **broken link removed**

ive also just had a look around all my old adaptors and found an old sony ps one 7.5v 2a adapter, could that work if I took out the lm317 board

Last edited:
hi audioguru...just a quick update.... I took out the lm317 board and wired the sony ps one 7.5v 2a adapter to the light cables with a junction box and it all works well..all lights, strings, globes and lanterns are on ..... the adapter plug is staying cool and its been running for a couple hours now.... do you think it will be ok to keep the setup with that adapter?

The Sony 7.5V/2A power supply is perfect. With your load of only 1.5A then this power supply is not straining and does not get hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back