Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controling power switch remote via pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuee

I have a 4 channel watts clever remote / 4 powerpoint switches.
I would like to use my server pc to control this with software to turn on at times etc.
I was thinking soldering relays onto the buttons to deal with this but i would need 8 relays 4on and 4 off.
Is there any way i can do this as the buttons don't take voltage more continuity. Like i said i want to be able to control from my pc too via, com, lpt or usb. I have seen the boards on ebay for a few $$ but they are all 1 or 2 channel relays.

Any ideas or help i would appreciate.

Thanks
Stu

If all the 8 switches have one side common check what is the voltage on the other side of the switch. If voltage is positive then you can connect the common point to the earth of your PC. connect each switch to a small signal transistor and the base of each transistor to one of the 8 outputs of your LPT. Next you need to write a program.
I have on my website some projects that may help you, https://www.moty22.co.uk/

Something you may want to keep in mind is when the sockets are learning the outlet codes:

How to Set Up
1. Insert the supplied battery into the battery compartment of the Remote Control making sure it is inserted correctly.
2. Plug the Remote Control Socket into your chosen electricity socket. The [ Indicator light1] will flash slowly. Point the Remote Control at the socket and then press the ON or OFF channel button in the [ Control panel4] that you wish to control that Remote Control Socket with. After 2 seconds the [ Indicator light3] on the socket will flash quickly and then return to a continuous light.
3. The code has now been successfully learned by the socket. You can now turn the socket on or off with the ON / OFF buttons in the [ Control panel4] from the channel number 1, 2, or 3 that you selected.

I really liked motty22's suggestion, he has some good stuff on his website. This USB to PIC is a good example of one way to go about it and if transistors can be used for switching that would make things go real easy. If you want to go the relay board route with 8 channels I would look at maybe a Velleman K8090 8-Channel Usb Relay Card available from Amazon and other suppliers globally. Even with a pre made card like the Velleman the transistor outputs driving the relays could likely be hacked. My first choice would be to use what moty 22 has posted.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back