Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Continue with the demultiplexer...circuit attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the explain. And what kind of pull-down-transistor should I use?

I would use small MOSFET rather than BJT. Just make sure MOSFET gate is designed to completely turn on with gate voltage of your MCU (2.5V or 3.3V). As long as datasheet gives on-resistance at a voltage that is 2.5V to 3.3V MCU can turn it on (do not look at gate threshold voltage on datasheet since this is voltage that just "barely" turns on MOSFET). Otherwise you will experience same problem as before...MCU output HI is not high enough. Also make sure MOSFET can tolerate at least 12V across source-drain since it needs to block this voltage when it is off.

Use as small MOSFET as possible so MCU can turn it on as fast as possible since power is not a problem here, you do not need large MOSFET.

FOr example, IRLML2502, IRLML2402...any of these will work. You can probably find smaller cheaper transistors to do the job.

You can also just use small BJT with base resistor if you cannot find logic level MOSFET.

Last edited:
At last... thats why the 4067 is not being addressed.
The MCU 3.3V high, is not seen as a High by the 4067.!

yes i got u, b4 i always control low voltage chips by MCU, It's my first time to control a demux with this voltage level. I can program relatively good but hardware it not really my advantage. Thanks for the turtoring..I'm so lazy I should post the pics. yesterday.

You need to have a voltage higher than about 6V for the address inputs of the 4067 to be 'seen' as high.

A level shifter is required.

yes i got u, b4 i always control low voltage chips by MCU, It's my first time to control a demux with this voltage level. I can program relatively good but hardware it not really my advantage. Thanks for the turtoring..I'm so lazy I should post the pics. yesterday.

OK,
Sorry I shouted,:eek:

The good news is the 4067's are not dead, are they.?

Is time travelling faster for me than it is for every other person responding to this thread? Other responders seem to be lagging.

Last edited:
You need to have a voltage higher than about 6V for the address inputs of the 4067 to be 'seen' as high.

A level shifter is required.

The MCU i/o can output voltage as high as 5.7v, if I follow the datasheet, I need to shift from at least 5v to 10v. is that right? it's for the high level, the low level should shift from 0v to 5v

Is time travelling faster for me than it is for every other person responding to this thread? Other responders seem to be lagging.

There does seem to be time shift,?

EDIT:
hi dknguyen, I'll opt out, I think we are confusing the OP...

Last edited:
The MCU i/o can output voltage as high as 5.7v, if I follow the datasheet, I need to shift from at least 5v to 10v. is that right? it's for the high level, the low level should shift from 0v to 5v

Low level is fine because any input voltage below LO threshold is understood as LO by demux. LO threshold increase with supply voltage so no problem there since you are always below LO threshold. LO signal from MCU will be read as LO signal by demux.

The problem is the high output voltage because increasing supply voltage increase HI voltage threshold, but input voltage must be higher than threshold to be read as HI.

My pull-up resistor and pull-down transistor is a level shifter and should solve your problem.

Last edited:
My pull-up resistor and pull-down transistor is a level shifter and should solve your problem.

hi dknguyen,
Address voltage level inversion.

Last edited:
hi dknguyen,
Address voltage level inversion.

Oh crap, that's right. Good call.

One thing you should know about my solution...the level-shifter is actually a level-shifting INVERTER.

So if MCU send LO to level-shifter, level-shifter will send HI to demux. If MCU send HI to level-shifter, level-shifterwill send LO to demux. You can easily deal with this in code.

Last edited:
You know, it's really nice to see a student who actually has done some work and is trying to figure out what's wrong with what they have done and asks a question that can actually be answered rather than asking for a handout.

Dk, I seem to remember you posted a real good appnote for level translation awhile back. Do you remember the link?

Attachments

• Image1.gif
    Image1.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back