Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constructing a circuit that would trigger my cordless house phone intercom circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's funny. ;)

Drill some of the vias out and cut the foil with a razer blade.

Remember, your meter will likely add resistance depending on the range.

Attempt 2: Glued aluminium foil to both sides of a piece thin (0.5mm) stiff and relatively heatproof plastic. Soldered wires to both sides.

1626079270812.png

Good continuity between cable and foil both sides; and total isolation side to side.

But when I insert it into the battery holder and connect the meter set to the 2000 µAdc range, the phone does not power up?

Attempt 2: Glued aluminium foil to both sides of a piece thin (0.5mm) stiff and relatively heatproof plastic. Soldered wires to both sides.

View attachment 132416

Good continuity between cable and foil both sides; and total isolation side to side.

Well the 'quality' of the soldering certainly suggests you used aluminium foil - which was why I suggested tin plate :D

But when I insert it into the battery holder and connect the meter set to the 2000 µAdc range, the phone does not power up?

2000uA is only 2mA, which is too low a range, and the voltage drop across the meter is likely to stop it working.

Stick a croc clip lead across the two bare copper wires you can see in the picture, to ensure that the phone works then (proving the adaptor you've made is working).

Well the 'quality' of the soldering certainly suggests you used aluminium foil
Hmph.

1626087517182.png

Is that such a bad job?
Most of what might look like excess solder are just wrinkles in the foil.

Have you ever tried soldering copper to kitchen foil?

which was why I suggested tin plate

I did look at that, but with two layers of bean can, the battery wouldn't go in the holder.
Stick a croc clip lead across the two bare copper wires

Why didn't I think of that!

Hmph.

View attachment 132421
Is that such a bad job?
Most of what might look like excess solder are just wrinkles in the foil.

Have you ever tried soldering copper to kitchen foil?

No - aluminium doesn't solder (with normal tin/lead solder) - so you don't ever try to solder it. You can get special aluminium solder, but I've no idea if that would solder to copper or not?.

And yes, that looks horrible - the solder around the wire is floating above the aluminium - there's no actual joint.

with two layers of bean can, the battery wouldn't go in the holder

Take the beans out first! :D

How thick are your bean cans?.

In post #14 the picture shows the red and black power wires soldered to the battery holder. Why not just unsolder one of those wires and connect your current meter between the end of the wire and the battery holder connection from which it was unsoldered ?

Les.

In post #14 the picture shows the red and black power wires soldered to the battery holder. Why not just unsolder one of those wires and connect your current meter between the end of the wire and the battery holder connection from which it was unsoldered ?

Les.
In part because it's neigh impossible to operate the phone when in pieces, and there's no convenient hole to root the wire through when together.

But mostly because SWMBO would linch me if I &$%%&^% the thing up.

Hm. Close the circuit direct and the phone works.
1626097302835.png

Put the meter on Vdc and it measures 2.29V.
Put it on Adc (whatever range) and nothing. On the meter, or the phone.

I can only suspect that the NiMH charging circuit is detecting the increased resistance and switching the battery out of the circuit.

Another interesting thing is that the only chip I can identify -- an FM24C16B FRAM chip visible on the circuit boad just below the silver can labelled cs 220 4V
1626097822281.png

-- is speced to run at 4.5v - 5.5v. Presumably, this is where the 40 number memory and redial etc. are stored. These can be viewed and edited when on battery power. Which to me suggests that there must be a boost converter in there somewhere?

Also, do you guys know what the black blob (with a letter K) that covers/hides the main chip is? It is literally rock hard. I tried to cut into it with a penknife, and it blunted the tip, without leaving a mark on the blob.

Also, do you guys know what the black blob (with a letter K) that covers/hides the main chip is? It is literally rock hard. I tried to cut into it with a penknife, and it blunted the tip, without leaving a mark on the blob.
This is starting to look like an electronics version of this...

Another interesting thing is that the only chip I can identify -- an FM24C16B FRAM chip visible on the circuit boad just below the silver can labelled cs 220 4V

FRAM chips aren't TTL, they don't need 5V.

It's a COB (Chip On Board), nothing you should be concerned with, you can't buy it, and you can't replace it - the entire PCB is effectively the chip, with the silicon wafer covered in epoxy.

Also, do you guys know what the black blob (with a letter K) that covers/hides the main chip is? It is literally rock hard.
To clarify Nigel's answer, something like this (obviously not the same PCB).
A bare silicon die, bonded directly to the PCB rather than bonded in to a carrier package and encapsulated in that, like a conventional IC.

The epoxy glob is to protect the bond wires.

cob_ic.jpg

Put the meter on Vdc and it measures 2.29V.
Put it on Adc (whatever range) and nothing. On the meter, or the phone.

I can only suspect that the NiMH charging circuit is detecting the increased resistance and switching the battery out of the circuit.
Is this a reasonable conclusion?

Are you keeping your test leads connected to the same solder pads for both VDC and ADC?
Do you have extra fuses for your meter?

Is this a reasonable conclusion?

No, the charging circuit will almost certainly be crude, nasty, and really horrible - probably just a single resistor.

I explained the likely reason in post #44, you had the meter set to much too small a range, so much too high a resistance. However, this assuming the 'soldered' connections to the foil are working (which is dubious) and that the foil itself is making good electrical contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back