Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Constant DC current source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Affan

I have been given a project to make a 2 ampere constant dc current source.
Can anyone explain to me the simplest method to do it? I have only 2 days, please help me!

The power suply might be a voltage source. Actually i dont know much about it. All i need is to make a circuit which outputs Constant 2A current.

If anyone just asks you to build a 2A dc current source without any further details. What would you do and how would you do it sir?

Affan said:
If anyone just asks you to build a 2A dc current source without any further details. What would you do and how would you do it sir?
I would then ask the following questions:

How accurate must the 2A be?
What supplies are available?
Do the supplies vary, and if so, by how much?
What load is it driving?
Does the load vary, and if so, by how much?
Are there any size or weight constraints?
Is it supposed to be portable?
When do you need it?
How much money have you got to pay for it?

JimB

Sir this current source will be used to supply 2A constant dc current to variable loads. Portability isnt required. The current should be constant. Power supply can be of any suitable type.(Also tell me the most suitable power supply).(I am a first semester engineering student).

Use an LM338K in a TO-3 package configured as a current source. It only requires one resistor in addition to the LM338K. You will need a power supply that can deliver two amps and a voltage that is 2.5V higher than whatever voltage might be developed on the output. It will need a large heatsink.

Please provide some further explanation and circuit diagram.(As i told i am a first semester student)

Thankyou very very very much sir! If I would need any more help for the project, I will ask you Insha Allah.:D

Can we somehow use a larger resistor to make the project? Because resistor of this resistance(R<50ohm) are rare here.

Just use an 47 ohm resistor. It is close enough, then the Tolerance should help out too.

Affan said:
Can we somehow use a larger resistor to make the project? Because resistor of this resistance(R<50ohm) are rare here.
I guess you are in Pakistan

Exactly Sir!:) I am from Rawalpindi, Pakistan. One more question sir. Which one among LM338K and LM340 would be better to implement this 2A dc current source project and why?

Krumlink said:
Just use an 47 ohm resistor. It is close enough, then the Tolerance should help out too.
Krumlink, you should add a smiley when you're joking. I'm afraid our OP took your advice seriously.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back